Re: [TalkAntietam] BATTLEFIELD ROADS MIGHT BE REPAVED

  • david lutton
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2004

      Thanks for the post, Tom. I have two questions for the group.

      1. Whatever happened to the plan to return some of the roads (I'm thinking here of the Hagerstown Pike to their war-time appearance?)

      2. In a unrelated topic, I will be in the Sharpsburg area sometime this month and I was hoping to do some tramping on two farms, the Joesph Poffenberger and the farm where the Lincoln visited Mac. I think this was the 5th Corps headquarters after the battle. Does anyone know if it is possible to get access to these two sites?

      Thanks in advance,

      David Lutton
      Hollidaysburg Pa
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
        I THINK that the meeting site is privately owned, but not histile to
        visitors. But jeeze, my memory is from so long ago that much may have
        changed. They once had a "Heritage Day" dance in the barn there.

        Richard
        > Thanks for the post, Tom. I have two questions for the group.
        >
        > 1. Whatever happened to the plan to return some of the roads (I'm
        thinking here of the Hagerstown Pike to their war-time appearance?)

        > 2. In a unrelated topic, I will be in the Sharpsburg area sometime this
        month and I was hoping to do some tramping on two farms, the Joesph
        Poffenberger and the farm where the Lincoln visited Mac. I think this was
        the 5th Corps headquarters after the battle. Does anyone know if it is
        possible to get access to these two sites?

        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > David Lutton
        > Hollidaysburg Pa

        Service.

      • darinb20855
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2004
          This is a little surprising to read. I made many visits nearly all parts of the park in
          April-July 2004 making photographs for a book/art project. I was there three or four
          times a week and drove all (I think) of the roads and walked along many of them.
          They seemed in good shape to me.

          --Darin Boville
          www.darinboville.com