BATTLEFIELD ROADS MIGHT BE REPAVED

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2004
      From today's Hagerstown Herald-Mail....

      BATTLEFIELD ROADS MIGHT BE REPAVED

      Antietam National Battlefield's tour roads could be repaved for the first time in 30 years if the estimated $3.7 million project remains on track, Superintendent John Howard said Tuesday.

      The preliminary cost estimate for the project includes engineering, drainage work, curbs, replacing wooden guardrails that don't meet federal safety standards and repaving 10 miles of roads and 14 parking areas, Howard said.

      The work could start as early as spring 2007, Howard said. An engineering study will be conducted to decide what drainage work is needed so the cost can better be determined, Howard said.

      Drivers in the area might have seen paint and fabric markers around local roads because aerial photographs are going to be taken to help with the engineering study, Howard said. There are no plans to expand battlefield boundaries, Howard said.

      At Monday night's Sharpsburg mayor and Town Council meeting, some town officials mentioned residents were concerned the markings might have something to do with plans to expand the park boundaries. At least one council member, Russ Weaver, said he wasn't sure why the battlefield roads needed repaving because they appeared to be in good shape.

      Howard said some of the roads are not in bad shape, but some are falling apart. Parts of the road near Burnside Bridge are slipping off the hill, Howard said. One of the battlefield's big problems is drainage, Howard said. A moderate rain can result in large puddles on the roads, which can crack asphalt after a freeze and thaw, he said.

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
      (sorry to have been offline for weeks, but my torn retina has still been causing me trouble).
    • david lutton
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2004

        Thanks for the post, Tom. I have two questions for the group.

        1. Whatever happened to the plan to return some of the roads (I'm thinking here of the Hagerstown Pike to their war-time appearance?)

        2. In a unrelated topic, I will be in the Sharpsburg area sometime this month and I was hoping to do some tramping on two farms, the Joesph Poffenberger and the farm where the Lincoln visited Mac. I think this was the 5th Corps headquarters after the battle. Does anyone know if it is possible to get access to these two sites?

        Thanks in advance,

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg Pa
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
          I THINK that the meeting site is privately owned, but not histile to
          visitors. But jeeze, my memory is from so long ago that much may have
          changed. They once had a "Heritage Day" dance in the barn there.

          Richard
          > Thanks for the post, Tom. I have two questions for the group.
          >
          > 1. Whatever happened to the plan to return some of the roads (I'm
          thinking here of the Hagerstown Pike to their war-time appearance?)

          > 2. In a unrelated topic, I will be in the Sharpsburg area sometime this
          month and I was hoping to do some tramping on two farms, the Joesph
          Poffenberger and the farm where the Lincoln visited Mac. I think this was
          the 5th Corps headquarters after the battle. Does anyone know if it is
          possible to get access to these two sites?

          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > David Lutton
          > Hollidaysburg Pa

          Service.

        • darinb20855
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 12, 2004
            This is a little surprising to read. I made many visits nearly all parts of the park in
            April-July 2004 making photographs for a book/art project. I was there three or four
            times a week and drove all (I think) of the roads and walked along many of them.
            They seemed in good shape to me.

            --Darin Boville
            www.darinboville.com