RE: [TalkAntietam] "To Make Men Free" a "guilty pleasure" -- CW News

  • Tim Reese
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2004
      Hi Richard,

      Methinks someone is walking on cloud 9. And so you might. Speaking strictly
      as someone who "doesn't do fiction," I applaud your effort and attendant
      success. Anything--fictional or nonfictional--which draws attention to the
      campaign and makes people think it out in greater detail is worth its
      weight in platinum. Relish your guilty pleasure; you earned it.

      I wouldn't put too much stock in reviews. They're far too subjective. I for
      one tend to ignore them, but others certainly don't. Therefore they can be
      a fair gauge of reactive publicity. You want folks to know your work is out
      there. This accomplished, readers and word of mouth will take it from
      there. The process unfolds in slow motion. Patience. All things come to he
      who waits.

      Things have been predictably quiet hereabouts due to the post-anniversary
      doldrums and the inescapable fact that everyone is busy gearing up for the
      holidays and winter, myself no exception. Perhaps this reply will spark a
      few more. The shank of the year is always hectic for most. Then we all go
      to hibernation.

      Warm congrats. Feels pretty good, doesn't it. What next? There's always a
      "next," so long as there is breath.

      Tim
    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2004
        Yeah -- I'm buzzin' a bit. The Carter Center thing was unbelievable. I'll
        be posting a photo on the site pretty soon. But the highlight was that two
        of my high school history teachers showed up. Understand that I went to HS
        when books were still carved in stone, and I haven't seen one of these
        wonderful people since 1964!

        You're right about reviews. I agree 100%. It was with huge trepidation
        that I approached CW News, knowing full well that it is their job to hammer
        all fiction. Understanding that, I was pleased.

        Regarding its being "a long process" -- you couldn't be "righter" about
        that. While there is a chance that TMMF might require a second hardback
        printing, without adequate promotion, it's incredibly frustrating. I have a
        major publisher, but I think that may hurt more than it helps. They spend
        all their promotion dollars on the guys who don't really need and all us
        "first timers" are left to fend for ourselves. The second book ("A Place
        Worse then Hell") is not going to be published until March of 2006! A
        argued with them on that, but in a match between first-time authors and
        HarperCollins -- well -- I'm the cobra, and they're the mongoose. Don't get
        me wrong! They've been great. One quick story -- there was a bit of a
        tragedy in the book affecting 7-year-old Ada Mumma. My editor thought it
        was too depressing and wanted me to change it. I told him I didn't create
        it -- God did -- I just told the story as it happened. He caved on that
        one. "If that's what happened, go with it." So they have fully supported
        me in my effort to keep the history accurate.

        But my how a ramble.

        One more answer -- I working on a proposal for a book about Harry Truman and
        "the BOMB." Talk about "depressing."

        Thanks for everything Tim -- bundle up!

        Richard
        www.rcroker.com