The Rock Ledge

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2004
      In my opinion, one of the most under-appreciated pieces of terrain at
      Antietam is The Rock Ledge. It runs along the west side of (and parallel to) the
      Hagerstown Pike from the Miller Farm area south to environs of the West Woods.

      I visited The Ledge on Sunday and posted a summary with photos here:

      http://members.aol.com/Schuylkill/antietam_ledge.htm

    • Tim Reese
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 21, 2004

        The Rock Ledge is conspicuous in the Antietam documentary film shown at the visitors center. As your photos show, this battlefield feature remains virtually unchanged. Nice views.

        These seams of protruding limestone are a trademark feature of the Washington County landscape. They drive farmers nuts when plowing.

        Tim