Photos of 90th PA Monument

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 19, 2004
      I was coaxed to make yet another trip to Antietam. As today was Schuylkill
      County Day at Antietam, I gave in to pressure of locals and made it to the park
      for second time in 4 days.

      I attended the re-dedications of 50th PA and 48th PA Monuments, plus joined
      in some fo the ranger-led hikes. Even ran into Mark Pflum!

      I shall have plenty to report on later, but for now here are photos of the
      90th PA Monument:

      http://members.aol.com/Schuylkill/antietam90pa.htm

      Tom Shay - County Schuylkill, PA

    • 128thpa@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2004
        Thanks for posting those Tom! My photos are still in the camera. It looks nice in the sunlight. I only got to see it either in the rain(Friday) or in the gloom and wind (Sat at the dedication). Sorry we didn't get to run into each other at the battlefield.
        Paula

        I was coaxed to make yet another trip to Antietam. As today was Schuylkill
        County Day at Antietam, I gave in to pressure of locals and made it to the park
        for second time in 4 days.

        I attended the re-dedications of 50th PA and 48th PA Monuments, plus joined
        in some fo the ranger-led hikes. Even ran into Mark Pflum!

        I shall have plenty to report on later, but for now here are photos of the
        90th PA Monument:

        http://members.aol.com/Schuylkill/antietam90pa.htm

        Tom Shay - County Schuylkill, PA

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 19, 2004
          Dear Tom,

          Correct me please if I am mistaken, but IIRC, is not the new monument located in the actual spot the original one was located?

          I remain,
          Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
          G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
          Corporal,
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
          else we shall grow too fond of it."
          --Robert E. Lee

        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 19, 2004
            In a message dated 9/19/04 9:12:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            gerry1952@... writes:
            Correct me please if I am mistaken, but IIRC, is not the new monument located
            in the actual spot the original one was located?
            Yes. In fact they located and used the hole that the original rod (holding up
            the bucket) has been placed in.

            I just updated the webpage with a closeup photo plus the Gardner photo.

            I must admit I heard plenty of comments/concerns today about just how long
            the monument would remain without an incident (vandalism, accidental damage due
            to someone posing with it, etc).

          • 128thpa@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 19, 2004
              They used the original holes in the rocks also. There is a close up photo of the original monument ( on which the new one was based) in Jim Durkin's regimental of the 90th Pa, "The Last Man and The Last Life".
              Paula