Ivan Aftermath

  • Tim Reese
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2004
      Well, it's over. Hurricane Ivan blew through with decided fury setting off a chain of category-2 tornados throughout the Potomac region. In the battlefield area Antietam escaped, still licking its wounds from the horrendous August, 2003 thunder storm.

      Here around Crampton's Gap we weren't so lucky. A persistent twister touched down just above Brunswick on the river, then tore northward near the east foot of South Mountain for about four miles. Took out a power line on US 340, beaucoup trees ripped out by their roots. Tyreconnell, a prewar finishing school, was badly damaged while a newer home just north of it was flattened. Trees uprooted, branches and debris everywhere. It then lifted and crossed the mountain diagonally between Brownsville Pass and Crampton's Gap. Contrary to press reports, Burkittsville just dodged the bullet. Seemed curious to watch TV news reports of home damage in town. We heard nothing.

      After crossing the mountain it again touched down and completely ripped the tin roof off the stone Eli Crampton house, used as a post-CG field hospital. Even the roof joists were taken away. The house lies at the west foot of CG. It then moved on to Rohrersville where trees alone were abundant casualties. Somewhere toward Boonsboro it again lifted and finally dissipated. The west side of SM just north of Brownsville distinctly shows where it tore down the wooded mountainside. Property loss only.

      These mountain tornados are especially dangerous because they develop a touch-and-go pattern. One never knows when, where, or how many times they will set down. So much for the 142nd Antietam anniversary. Better luck next year.

      Tim

    • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2004
        It's seen worse....

        Well, it's over. Hurricane Ivan blew through with decided fury setting
        off a chain of category-2 tornados throughout the Potomac region. In the
        battlefield area Antietam escaped, still licking its wounds from the
        horrendous August, 2003 thunder storm.

        ---

        [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by AmeriMail]
      • Tim Reese
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 20, 2004
          Crampton's Gap hasn't. I near neighbor on the other side of the gap lost
          everything. Nearby Eli Crampton property is a mess.