Re: [TalkAntietam] Questions about Antietam

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 18, 2004
      Dear Tom,

      I was going strictly from memory....... thanks.
      I remain,
      Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
      G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
      Corporal,
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
      else we shall grow too fond of it."
      --Robert E. Lee

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 18, 2004
        One of Tom's questions concerns whether the right flank of the Irish
        Brigade reached as far as Roulette Lane. I don't believe that it did.

        It is my understanding that the Irish Brigade came in on the left of the
        8th Ohio. The 8th was situated with it's right flank anchored at Roulette
        Lane. In "The Valiant Hours" by Thomas Galwey(Stackpole, 1961) he twice
        mentions that the Irish Brigade moves in on the left of the 8th. At the
        time, Galwey was a Sgt. in Co. B of the 8th OVI. Both his statements and
        his drawn map indicate the position of the 8th at the Lane.

        Galwey was an Irish born resident of Cleveland at the time of the
        war. Most of the men in Co. B of the 8th were of Irish birth or
        heritage. These men apparently had a great relationship with those in the
        Irish Brigade.

        The Valiant Hours is a great read, but also a bit hard to find. I haven't
        read my copy about 5 years, so I guess it's about time to dust it off read
        it again for the 4th time.

        Bud Wilkinson