RE: [TalkAntietam] Trip Report for 9/16

  • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
      I did. I drove past the marker and a ranger came out and did his badass
      impression.

      Yes, I would like some photos....conveniently labeled!

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
        Okay. I've made a note-to-self for clearer weather. Ivan is literally
        raining on the figurative anniversary parade just now. Party pooper! I'll
        do a panorama with labels. Q.E.D.

        Others have experienced the law-enforcement syndrome thereabouts, including
        myself on occasion. As urban life draws nearer, so too urban problems.
        Rangers are a bit paranoid these days when folks are seen in potentially
        mischievous situations. While working at nearby Gathland SP I had to call
        in a ranger to arrest two dope peddlers trying to sell grass to Boy Scouts.
        Both were high as kites; tried to scale the War Correspondents Arch. Look
        Ma, I can fly!!

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
          I didn’t really mind, but I thought he was going to run me through the
          terrorist database before he let me go. My sin was not parking in front,
          in the little lot I missed, and driving up behind the house and parking
          there.

          Okay. I've made a note-to-self for clearer weather. Ivan is literally
          raining on the figurative anniversary parade just now. Party pooper!
          I'll
          do a panorama with labels. Q.E.D.

          Others have experienced the law-enforcement syndrome thereabouts,
          including
          myself on occasion. As urban life draws nearer, so too urban problems.
          Rangers are a bit paranoid these days when folks are seen in potentially
          mischievous situations. While working at nearby Gathland SP I had to
          call
          in a ranger to arrest two dope peddlers trying to sell grass to Boy
          Scouts.
          Both were high as kites; tried to scale the War Correspondents Arch.
          Look
          Ma, I can fly!!

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---

          [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by AmeriMail]
        • Brian Morris
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
            Last march I waked all around the Pry House and nobody said a word. It was
            my first time there and I was surprised that there was no obvious markings
            showing it as having any historical significance.

            Brian

          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
              It's on the short list for renovation. But the NPS is a low priority with
              the current administration, so I guess we'll just have to wait.
              > Last march I waked all around the Pry House and nobody said a word. It was
              > my first time there and I was surprised that there was no obvious markings
              > showing it as having any historical significance.
              >
              > Brian
              >

              > > I did. I drove past the marker and a ranger came out and did his badass
              > > impression.
              > >
              > > Yes, I would like some photos....conveniently labeled!

            • Brian Morris
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
                The problem is people complain about how much money the government spends
                and there being deficits but then turn around and complain that they aren't
                spending enough money on their own pet project (In our case Civil War
                preservation). You can't have it both ways. We have to accept the fact that
                the government can't fund every project under the sun and regardless of
                administration has never funded the NPS battlefield parks as much as we all
                probably would like.

                Brian