RE: [TalkAntietam] Trip Report for 9/16

  • Tim Reese
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
      Jeff,

      You didn't trespass. The house and grounds are park property. And as
      Richard says, the view is tremendous. Like some digital photos? I'll have
      to wait for better weather.

      Tim

    • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
        I did. I drove past the marker and a ranger came out and did his badass
        impression.

        Yes, I would like some photos....conveniently labeled!

        You didn't trespass. The house and grounds are park property. And as
        Richard says, the view is tremendous. Like some digital photos? I'll
        have
        to wait for better weather.

        Tim

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by AmeriMail]

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
          Okay. I've made a note-to-self for clearer weather. Ivan is literally
          raining on the figurative anniversary parade just now. Party pooper! I'll
          do a panorama with labels. Q.E.D.

          Others have experienced the law-enforcement syndrome thereabouts, including
          myself on occasion. As urban life draws nearer, so too urban problems.
          Rangers are a bit paranoid these days when folks are seen in potentially
          mischievous situations. While working at nearby Gathland SP I had to call
          in a ranger to arrest two dope peddlers trying to sell grass to Boy Scouts.
          Both were high as kites; tried to scale the War Correspondents Arch. Look
          Ma, I can fly!!

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
            I didn’t really mind, but I thought he was going to run me through the
            terrorist database before he let me go. My sin was not parking in front,
            in the little lot I missed, and driving up behind the house and parking
            there.

            Okay. I've made a note-to-self for clearer weather. Ivan is literally
            raining on the figurative anniversary parade just now. Party pooper!
            I'll
            do a panorama with labels. Q.E.D.

            Others have experienced the law-enforcement syndrome thereabouts,
            including
            myself on occasion. As urban life draws nearer, so too urban problems.
            Rangers are a bit paranoid these days when folks are seen in potentially
            mischievous situations. While working at nearby Gathland SP I had to
            call
            in a ranger to arrest two dope peddlers trying to sell grass to Boy
            Scouts.
            Both were high as kites; tried to scale the War Correspondents Arch.
            Look
            Ma, I can fly!!

          • Brian Morris
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
              Last march I waked all around the Pry House and nobody said a word. It was
              my first time there and I was surprised that there was no obvious markings
              showing it as having any historical significance.

              Brian

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
                It's on the short list for renovation. But the NPS is a low priority with
                the current administration, so I guess we'll just have to wait.
                > Last march I waked all around the Pry House and nobody said a word. It was
                > my first time there and I was surprised that there was no obvious markings
                > showing it as having any historical significance.
                >
                > Brian
                >

                > > I did. I drove past the marker and a ranger came out and did his badass
                > > impression.
                > >
                > > Yes, I would like some photos....conveniently labeled!

              • Brian Morris
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
                  The problem is people complain about how much money the government spends
                  and there being deficits but then turn around and complain that they aren't
                  spending enough money on their own pet project (In our case Civil War
                  preservation). You can't have it both ways. We have to accept the fact that
                  the government can't fund every project under the sun and regardless of
                  administration has never funded the NPS battlefield parks as much as we all
                  probably would like.

                  Brian