RE: [TalkAntietam] Trip Report for 9/16

  • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
      That I'd like to see. The one time I went up to the Pry House (and
      trespassed into the backyard) all I could see was what you usually see
      on CW battlefields in the summer, which is....trees.

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
        Jeff,

        You didn't trespass. The house and grounds are park property. And as
        Richard says, the view is tremendous. Like some digital photos? I'll have
        to wait for better weather.

        Tim

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
          I did. I drove past the marker and a ranger came out and did his badass
          impression.

          Yes, I would like some photos....conveniently labeled!

          You didn't trespass. The house and grounds are park property. And as
          Richard says, the view is tremendous. Like some digital photos? I'll
          have
          to wait for better weather.

          Tim

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by AmeriMail]

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---

          [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by AmeriMail]
        • Tim Reese
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
            Okay. I've made a note-to-self for clearer weather. Ivan is literally
            raining on the figurative anniversary parade just now. Party pooper! I'll
            do a panorama with labels. Q.E.D.

            Others have experienced the law-enforcement syndrome thereabouts, including
            myself on occasion. As urban life draws nearer, so too urban problems.
            Rangers are a bit paranoid these days when folks are seen in potentially
            mischievous situations. While working at nearby Gathland SP I had to call
            in a ranger to arrest two dope peddlers trying to sell grass to Boy Scouts.
            Both were high as kites; tried to scale the War Correspondents Arch. Look
            Ma, I can fly!!

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
              I didn’t really mind, but I thought he was going to run me through the
              terrorist database before he let me go. My sin was not parking in front,
              in the little lot I missed, and driving up behind the house and parking
              there.

              Okay. I've made a note-to-self for clearer weather. Ivan is literally
              raining on the figurative anniversary parade just now. Party pooper!
              I'll
              do a panorama with labels. Q.E.D.

              Others have experienced the law-enforcement syndrome thereabouts,
              including
              myself on occasion. As urban life draws nearer, so too urban problems.
              Rangers are a bit paranoid these days when folks are seen in potentially
              mischievous situations. While working at nearby Gathland SP I had to
              call
              in a ranger to arrest two dope peddlers trying to sell grass to Boy
              Scouts.
              Both were high as kites; tried to scale the War Correspondents Arch.
              Look
              Ma, I can fly!!

            • Brian Morris
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
                Last march I waked all around the Pry House and nobody said a word. It was
                my first time there and I was surprised that there was no obvious markings
                showing it as having any historical significance.

                Brian

              • richard@rcroker.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
                  It's on the short list for renovation. But the NPS is a low priority with
                  the current administration, so I guess we'll just have to wait.
                  > Last march I waked all around the Pry House and nobody said a word. It was
                  > my first time there and I was surprised that there was no obvious markings
                  > showing it as having any historical significance.
                  >
                  > Brian
                  >

                  > > I did. I drove past the marker and a ranger came out and did his badass
                  > > impression.
                  > >
                  > > Yes, I would like some photos....conveniently labeled!

                • Brian Morris
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
                    The problem is people complain about how much money the government spends
                    and there being deficits but then turn around and complain that they aren't
                    spending enough money on their own pet project (In our case Civil War
                    preservation). You can't have it both ways. We have to accept the fact that
                    the government can't fund every project under the sun and regardless of
                    administration has never funded the NPS battlefield parks as much as we all
                    probably would like.

                    Brian