Trip Report for 9/16

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
      With the weather forecast looking lousy for Friday, I headed to Antietam Thursday afternoon for battelfield stomping. I parked at the Burnside Bridge parking lot and headed west to walk the ground of IX Corps' attack. Many of the fields beyond the first ridge are cut nicely and plenty of paths are easily accessible. This was the first time since the 40-acre Cornfield was acquired that I had the chance to walk this ground alone. I saw no one else during my 90 minute walk. There were plenty of cars in the lot, so obviously everyone heads to the bridge. With printouts of Carman maps in hand, I had a wonderful time exploing this ground. It sure was quite warm and humid. At the futherest extent of my trek, I came across a huge water jog (full of iced-water) and cups stashed under a tree. Tempted though I was, I let it alone as I assume it was placed there for the Friday hikers' refreshment.

      Next I stopped at the VC. Ranger at front desk noted signficant rain was expected Friday, which provided some comfort in my decision to miss the Friday hikes. I made one purchase at bookstore: Antietam Revealed by Dennis Frye. It's a book of nothing but notes (trivia, facts, etc) organized according to phases of the battle.

      Next I joined first part of a Ranger talk on actions leading to the battle. Then I headed to Sunken Road and walked out to Roulette Farm. From there I walked over to the base of slope from which Irish Brigade launched their attack. A great path has been cut across the fields leading up that slope to Bloody Lane. Unfortunately the field on right was high corn, obstructing view towards Mumma Farm. Again, no one was walking any part of this field (only me and some deer). I arrived back at Sunken Road as twilight arrived, so I made the long drive home.

      The entire parked looked in beautiful shape and it is always a great experience to walk that ground in mid-September.

      I see the forcast has been somewhat revised, with some rain Saturday but Sunday becoming partly cloudy in afternoon.

      Tom Shay - County Schuylkill, PA
    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
        The folks at Antietam NBP do a WONDERFUL job, don't they? They have even
        cut back the growth behind the Pry house so that you can see McClellan's
        view of the field now. (Take your field glasses.) And the entire nation
        should be endebted to the private donars who contributed the money to
        purchase these hugely important plots of sacred ground. I wish I could have
        followed General Meagher's march while I was researching my book. (sigh)

        > With the weather forecast looking lousy for Friday, I headed to Antietam
        Thursday afternoon for battelfield stomping. I parked at the Burnside Bridge
        parking lot and headed west to walk the ground of IX Corps' attack. Many of
        the fields beyond the first ridge are cut nicely and plenty of paths are
        easily accessible. This was the first time since the 40-acre Cornfield was
        acquired that I had the chance to walk this ground alone. I saw no one else
        during my 90 minute walk. There were plenty of cars in the lot, so obviously
        everyone heads to the bridge. With printouts of Carman maps in hand, I had a
        wonderful time exploing this ground. It sure was quite warm and humid. At
        the futherest extent of my trek, I came across a huge water jog (full of
        iced-water) and cups stashed under a tree. Tempted though I was, I let it
        alone as I assume it was placed there for the Friday hikers' refreshment.

        > Next I stopped at the VC. Ranger at front desk noted signficant rain was
        expected Friday, which provided some comfort in my decision to miss the
        Friday hikes. I made one purchase at bookstore: Antietam Revealed by Dennis
        Frye. It's a book of nothing but notes (trivia, facts, etc) organized
        according to phases of the battle.

        > Next I joined first part of a Ranger talk on actions leading to the
        battle. Then I headed to Sunken Road and walked out to Roulette Farm. From
        there I walked over to the base of slope from which Irish Brigade launched
        their attack. A great path has been cut across the fields leading up that
        slope to Bloody Lane. Unfortunately the field on right was high corn,
        obstructing view towards Mumma Farm. Again, no one was walking any part of
        this field (only me and some deer). I arrived back at Sunken Road as
        twilight arrived, so I made the long drive home.

        > The entire parked looked in beautiful shape and it is always a great
        experience to walk that ground in mid-September.

        > I see the forcast has been somewhat revised, with some rain Saturday but
        Sunday becoming partly cloudy in afternoon.

        > Tom Shay - County Schuylkill, PA
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
          That I'd like to see. The one time I went up to the Pry House (and
          trespassed into the backyard) all I could see was what you usually see
          on CW battlefields in the summer, which is....trees.

          > With the weather forecast looking lousy for Friday, I headed to
          Antietam
          Thursday afternoon for battelfield stomping. I parked at the Burnside
          Bridge
          parking lot and headed west to walk the ground of IX Corps' attack. Many
          of
          the fields beyond the first ridge are cut nicely and plenty of paths are
          easily accessible. This was the first time since the 40-acre Cornfield
          was
          acquired that I had the chance to walk this ground alone. I saw no one
          else
          during my 90 minute walk. There were plenty of cars in the lot, so
          obviously
          everyone heads to the bridge. With printouts of Carman maps in hand, I
          had a
          wonderful time exploing this ground. It sure was quite warm and humid.
          At
          the futherest extent of my trek, I came across a huge water jog (full of
          iced-water) and cups stashed under a tree. Tempted though I was, I let
          it
          alone as I assume it was placed there for the Friday hikers'
          refreshment.

          > Next I stopped at the VC. Ranger at front desk noted signficant rain
          was
          expected Friday, which provided some comfort in my decision to miss the
          Friday hikes. I made one purchase at bookstore: Antietam Revealed by
          Dennis
          Frye. It's a book of nothing but notes (trivia, facts, etc) organized
          according to phases of the battle.

          > Next I joined first part of a Ranger talk on actions leading to the
          battle. Then I headed to Sunken Road and walked out to Roulette Farm.
          From
          there I walked over to the base of slope from which Irish Brigade
          launched
          their attack. A great path has been cut across the fields leading up
          that
          slope to Bloody Lane. Unfortunately the field on right was high corn,
          obstructing view towards Mumma Farm. Again, no one was walking any part
          of
          this field (only me and some deer). I arrived back at Sunken Road as
          twilight arrived, so I made the long drive home.

          > The entire parked looked in beautiful shape and it is always a great
          experience to walk that ground in mid-September.

          > I see the forcast has been somewhat revised, with some rain Saturday
          but
          Sunday becoming partly cloudy in afternoon.

          > Tom Shay - County Schuylkill, PA

          [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by AmeriMail]

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---

          [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by AmeriMail]
        • Tim Reese
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
            Jeff,

            You didn't trespass. The house and grounds are park property. And as
            Richard says, the view is tremendous. Like some digital photos? I'll have
            to wait for better weather.

            Tim

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
              I did. I drove past the marker and a ranger came out and did his badass
              impression.

              Yes, I would like some photos....conveniently labeled!

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
                Okay. I've made a note-to-self for clearer weather. Ivan is literally
                raining on the figurative anniversary parade just now. Party pooper! I'll
                do a panorama with labels. Q.E.D.

                Others have experienced the law-enforcement syndrome thereabouts, including
                myself on occasion. As urban life draws nearer, so too urban problems.
                Rangers are a bit paranoid these days when folks are seen in potentially
                mischievous situations. While working at nearby Gathland SP I had to call
                in a ranger to arrest two dope peddlers trying to sell grass to Boy Scouts.
                Both were high as kites; tried to scale the War Correspondents Arch. Look
                Ma, I can fly!!

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
                  I didn’t really mind, but I thought he was going to run me through the
                  terrorist database before he let me go. My sin was not parking in front,
                  in the little lot I missed, and driving up behind the house and parking
                  there.

                  Okay. I've made a note-to-self for clearer weather. Ivan is literally
                  raining on the figurative anniversary parade just now. Party pooper!
                  I'll
                  do a panorama with labels. Q.E.D.

                  Others have experienced the law-enforcement syndrome thereabouts,
                  including
                  myself on occasion. As urban life draws nearer, so too urban problems.
                  Rangers are a bit paranoid these days when folks are seen in potentially
                  mischievous situations. While working at nearby Gathland SP I had to
                  call
                  in a ranger to arrest two dope peddlers trying to sell grass to Boy
                  Scouts.
                  Both were high as kites; tried to scale the War Correspondents Arch.
                  Look
                  Ma, I can fly!!

                • Brian Morris
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
                    Last march I waked all around the Pry House and nobody said a word. It was
                    my first time there and I was surprised that there was no obvious markings
                    showing it as having any historical significance.

                    Brian

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
                      It's on the short list for renovation. But the NPS is a low priority with
                      the current administration, so I guess we'll just have to wait.
                      > Last march I waked all around the Pry House and nobody said a word. It was
                      > my first time there and I was surprised that there was no obvious markings
                      > showing it as having any historical significance.
                      >
                      > Brian
                      >

                      > > I did. I drove past the marker and a ranger came out and did his badass
                      > > impression.
                      > >
                      > > Yes, I would like some photos....conveniently labeled!

                    • Brian Morris
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 17, 2004
                        The problem is people complain about how much money the government spends
                        and there being deficits but then turn around and complain that they aren't
                        spending enough money on their own pet project (In our case Civil War
                        preservation). You can't have it both ways. We have to accept the fact that
                        the government can't fund every project under the sun and regardless of
                        administration has never funded the NPS battlefield parks as much as we all
                        probably would like.

                        Brian