Staying near Sharpsburg

  • Brian Morris
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2004
      What's the best place to stay close by Sharpsburg or Harpers Ferry? I
      usually stay in Gettysburg on Battlefield trips out in that area but next
      year my wife and I will be traveling to our annual convention in Harrisburg
      through Kentucky and I want to stay near Antietam or Harpers Ferry to do a
      bit of snooping around before we go up to our convention.

      Brian
    • Marc73@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2004
        In a message dated 09/16/04 4:06:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        ironbrigade@... writes:

        I want to stay near Antietam or Harpers Ferry to do a
        bit of snooping around before we go up to our convention.

        Brian

        Brian,

        Right on the road to Antietam Battlefield just South of Hagerstown on Route
        70 is new motel that i have stayed at. I am sure someone knows the name of
        it. Also, Frederick MD is not that far away from either Harpers Ferry or
        Antietam with lots of motels, plus a selection of places to eat.

        Marc Riddell

        83rd PVI-President
        2nd USSS
        Potomac Legion-President

      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 16, 2004
          Marc, are you thinking of the Sleep Inn off of 65?
          Paula

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 16, 2004
            For pure history -- stay at the Piper House! It was Pete's HQ on the day of
            the battle and is right in the middle of the field just alongside the Bloody
            Lane. Failing that, the Historic Rohrbach Inn downtown is where I stayed
            while I was researching To Make Men Free. It's changed ownership since
            then, but the previous owners, who have become friends of mine over the
            years, tell me that the new guys are very nice, very good and have done some
            approprite renovations. They have a website.

            Richard Croker