RE: [TalkAntietam] Quebec Schoolhouse

  • Tim Reese
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2004
      Hi Scott,

      Congratulations! You came across an egregious blunder of old. The true QSH stood adjacent to the intersection of Quebec School Road and Rt. 17 (Burkittsville Rd.), the site now obliterated by modern road construction. The school I zeroed in on, closer to the mountain, was the Sigler School. I had to publish an errata piece (with apology) in the Nov. '93 issue of B&G to get it straight. Actual tactical deployment therefore remains a mystery. These small-unit actions are often more difficult to get a handle on than larger battles. The B&G article is otherwise accurate, just the wrong place! Duh.

      The Md. ACW Trails folks fortunately caught my correction, therefore the brochure is accurate (whew!). The teacher's house still stands to the east side of Rt. 17. The school site lies down the embankment in the brush where the earthen dyke carrying QS Rd. joins elevated Rt 17, it having been moved father uphill to avoid low lying seasonal flooding.

      Good catch, but it's okay. I could send you a scan of the errata if desired. Hard to find now.

      Tim

    • Tim Reese

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2009
          Hello all.

          Quick question...

          I just picked up off ebay a copy of the 1993 Blue and Gray Mag that has Tim Reese's article on the skirmish at Quebec Schoolhouse, in advance of the Battle of South Mountain. Enjoyed it immensely.

          Is there any feedback to be had on updates to the information in this article, seeing that it is 16 years old?

          Not doubting Tim's research at all (I think he is a member here), but time and new discoveries in material sometimes causes us to refine the story a little, and I was wondering if there are any updates to this research. Didn't know if Tim has run across anything since 1993 that updates or changes anything that appears.

          Tim...you out there?

          Thanks.
          Steve Bockmiller