Quebec Schoolhouse

  • Scott Mingus
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2004
      In Tim Reese's excellent article on the skirmish at QS (a few years
      ago in Blue & Gray), the school is located near the Marker Road /
      Mountain Church Road, and a photo is provided of the garage that
      occupies the old framework.

      In the recent Maryland ACW Trails brochure, there is a tour stop for
      QS near the intersection of Quebec School Road and the Burkittville
      Road. The brochure states that the school was at this location, and
      that the school has long since been removed, but the schoolteacher's
      house remains.

      Tim, any way of getting the Maryland brochures corrected? This seems
      like a pretty serious error to any neophyte (like me) trying to piece
      together the key actions of the campaign.

      Scott Mingus
      Gettysburg - York Wargamers
    • Tim Reese
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2004
        Hi Scott,

        Congratulations! You came across an egregious blunder of old. The true QSH stood adjacent to the intersection of Quebec School Road and Rt. 17 (Burkittsville Rd.), the site now obliterated by modern road construction. The school I zeroed in on, closer to the mountain, was the Sigler School. I had to publish an errata piece (with apology) in the Nov. '93 issue of B&G to get it straight. Actual tactical deployment therefore remains a mystery. These small-unit actions are often more difficult to get a handle on than larger battles. The B&G article is otherwise accurate, just the wrong place! Duh.

        The Md. ACW Trails folks fortunately caught my correction, therefore the brochure is accurate (whew!). The teacher's house still stands to the east side of Rt. 17. The school site lies down the embankment in the brush where the earthen dyke carrying QS Rd. joins elevated Rt 17, it having been moved father uphill to avoid low lying seasonal flooding.

        Good catch, but it's okay. I could send you a scan of the errata if desired. Hard to find now.

        Tim

      • Tim Reese

          In Tim Reese's excellent article on the skirmish at QS (a few years
          ago in Blue & Gray), the school is located near the Marker Road /
          Mountain Church Road, and a photo is provided of the garage that
          occupies the old framework.

          In the recent Maryland ACW Trails brochure, there is a tour stop for
          QS near the intersection of Quebec School Road and the Burkittville
          Road. The brochure states that the school was at this location, and
          that the school has long since been removed, but the schoolteacher's
          house remains.

          Tim, any way of getting the Maryland brochures corrected? This seems
          like a pretty serious error to any neophyte (like me) trying to piece
          together the key actions of the campaign.

          Scott Mingus
          Gettysburg - York Wargamers

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

        • jeffcowvplanning
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10 6:04 PM
            Hello all.

            Quick question...

            I just picked up off ebay a copy of the 1993 Blue and Gray Mag that has Tim Reese's article on the skirmish at Quebec Schoolhouse, in advance of the Battle of South Mountain. Enjoyed it immensely.

            Is there any feedback to be had on updates to the information in this article, seeing that it is 16 years old?

            Not doubting Tim's research at all (I think he is a member here), but time and new discoveries in material sometimes causes us to refine the story a little, and I was wondering if there are any updates to this research. Didn't know if Tim has run across anything since 1993 that updates or changes anything that appears.

            Tim...you out there?

            Thanks.
            Steve Bockmiller