RE: [TalkAntietam] CW Properties Protected

  • Tim Reese
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 9, 2004
      Hi Kev,

      Robertson's place lies atop the false summit jutting out from the main South Mountain ridge. His ground abuts the hairpin turn in Dahlgren Road above the National Pike. This ground was contested by the 28th Georgia (Colquitt) and 6th Wisconsin (Gibbon). A VERY key property. Robertson was among the most vocal opponents of the 1986 NPS NHL nomination initiated by Dennis Frye. I'm guessing Robertson may have passed on by now, hence its availability. The news article made no mention of who engineered the deal. Curious.

      Unfortunately the rest of the ground along Dahlgren Road has been subdivided into building lots--just as Robertson's was--and will see new house construction. Last time I was there I was stopped by one of the new owners who thought I was cruising Dahlgren Road to dump my trash. This seems to have happened several times on or adjacent to his building lot. I discerned he was equally irked that I was there for historical reasons.

      The Robertson lot offers a publicly accessible island of battlefield land, which means DNR has finally acquired a legitimate property it can label as South Mountain State Battlefield. Not much though. One would conjecture that Robertson's ranch house might be converted into an ersatz visitors center. That's all they will get on Dahlgren. Frosttown Road is a write-off as well, recently repaved for new house sites near to the old church camp.

      I suppose having the Robertson lot is better than nothing, but it remains a fake battlefield park. Delegate Rick Weldon promises funding in the next session of the General Assembly for SMSB capital improvements. More picnic tables at Greenbrier SP I presume.

      Tim

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 13, 2004
        Only if you're not man enough to "chug"!
        Ask Jubel Early!