Question on 1863 campaign near Hagerstown

  • Scott Mingus
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2004
      During the Gettysburg Camapign, Jubal Early's division camped on June
      22 three miles west of Boonsboro along the Hagerstown Pike (I presume
      near Benevola). A part of the division moved up through Benevola
      Church Road to present day Route 66 near Beaver Creek, and then on to
      Cavetown, Smithsburg, and Ringgold before entering PA and advancing
      to Waynesboro.

      I know from other research that Early arrived on two different roads
      (route 66 and the Hagerstown Road through Leitersburg. Presumably,
      this latter wing was Gordon's brigade, which took a different route.

      Now the question I'm trying to determine is whether or not Gordon
      accompanied Early from Benevola to Smithsburg, then turned off to
      Leitersburg from there, or did he march to Hagerstown, then turn east
      to Leitersburg from there?

      Any members of the Hagerstown CWRT out there that might know this
      obscure detail.

      I'm working on a driving tour tracing Gordon from Winchester, VA, to
      Gettysburg for an upcoming book, Flames Beyond Gettysburg: The Gordon
      Expedition. This traces Gordon to Wrightsville, PA, before returning
      to Gettysburg on July 1. The book will be out in 2005.