RE: [TalkAntietam] Weekend events in Sharpsburg

  • Rawlings, Kevin
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
      John,

      I rode by the field about 3:00 while returning my daughter to her sleep-over
      in Rohrersville(sic)following a flute lesson in Hagerstown. Other than the
      the heavy police presence, tape and towed vehicles, it looked to be a
      tempest in a teapot. I understand the need for the security, especially by
      the rumor of hordes of skinheads and others of that ilk, but the hundreds of
      thousands of tax dollars expended for the security was the most painful
      thing about Saturday's rally. Like I reported before, some years ago they
      use to march and quit because they got no media attention or recruits along
      with some heckling. Well, its over. Let's hope they don't come back and
      crawl back beneath the rock they were hiding under.

      Kevin
    • Tim Reese
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
        Hi Kev,

        Reassuring to know things quickly reverted to the usual rural civility as they should. Sharpsburg is noted for this, a patina of placid calm superimposed over America's bloodiest day. All quiet on the Potomac indeed. Well said.

        How did those clowns get a march permit from the town council? Someone asleep at the switch, or just too "fair-minded"? I trust and hope their threat of a return performance next year is hollow. The online Herald-Mail article was deeply depressing. Close your doors, folks; turn your backs. The whirlwind passes quickly.

        On the local front, I'm happy to confirm that the Blair Witch cinematographer did indeed buy it in a plane crash. A Gettysburg friend sent me a news clipping. What goes around comes around.

        Producers Dan Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez have also hit rock bottom. Neither can find work, nor procure backing for new projects. Poor babies. Spent all their ill-gotten gains. My heart bleeds. We still get occasional drive-through gawkers, but they haven't the guts to dismount. At least they don't wear sheets.

        It's a strange world out there, hence our discomfort when it intrudes. Will that war ever be fully understood?

        Tim

      • Rawlings, Kevin
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
          Tim,

          Nah!

          I think the specter of first amendment lawsuits and the probability
          Sharpsburg would lose in court denying a parade permit prodded our reluctant
          tax spending town council officials to issue the said permit.

          I guess the curse really works!

          Kevin