Re: [TalkAntietam] Weekend events in Sharpsburg

  • truthsaint023@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
      I would like to say I also went down the see this "grand KKK rally" merely
      out of curiosity. I went to see the face of hate, but all I saw was the face of
      stupidity-those two idiots in their hoods and the few skinhead types hanging
      out. That there were only two of them says a lot about support for their kind
      of mentality. I'm sorry to say, as well, that I'll bet at least $100,000 was
      shelled out to pay for the police protection, money better spent elsewhere. I'd
      bet part of their plan was to make government go to that kind of expense. Now
      I'm all for freedom of speech and freedom of stupidity but their thinking
      is just plain wrong. The crowd that did turn out, I would say, were also
      curiosity seekers; now I do wish I had not attended. This was the kind of event
      where no one should have shown up-that would have sent a bigger message.
      John Nelson

    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
        Tim,

        Except for the news coverage, on Sunday you couldn't tell anything had
        happened! At least we don't have a Blair witch which draws touri to your
        town (unless you count the one rumored to be buried in the Mumma cemetery,
        wink, wink.) I hear the "Blair Witch" curse has claimed another victim, the
        cinematographer for the movie died in a plane crash in the Pacific several
        weeks ago while scouting movie locations.

        All quiet on the Potomac Front,
        Kevin
      • Rawlings, Kevin
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
          John,

          I rode by the field about 3:00 while returning my daughter to her sleep-over
          in Rohrersville(sic)following a flute lesson in Hagerstown. Other than the
          the heavy police presence, tape and towed vehicles, it looked to be a
          tempest in a teapot. I understand the need for the security, especially by
          the rumor of hordes of skinheads and others of that ilk, but the hundreds of
          thousands of tax dollars expended for the security was the most painful
          thing about Saturday's rally. Like I reported before, some years ago they
          use to march and quit because they got no media attention or recruits along
          with some heckling. Well, its over. Let's hope they don't come back and
          crawl back beneath the rock they were hiding under.

          Kevin
        • Tim Reese
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
            Hi Kev,

            Reassuring to know things quickly reverted to the usual rural civility as they should. Sharpsburg is noted for this, a patina of placid calm superimposed over America's bloodiest day. All quiet on the Potomac indeed. Well said.

            How did those clowns get a march permit from the town council? Someone asleep at the switch, or just too "fair-minded"? I trust and hope their threat of a return performance next year is hollow. The online Herald-Mail article was deeply depressing. Close your doors, folks; turn your backs. The whirlwind passes quickly.

            On the local front, I'm happy to confirm that the Blair Witch cinematographer did indeed buy it in a plane crash. A Gettysburg friend sent me a news clipping. What goes around comes around.

            Producers Dan Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez have also hit rock bottom. Neither can find work, nor procure backing for new projects. Poor babies. Spent all their ill-gotten gains. My heart bleeds. We still get occasional drive-through gawkers, but they haven't the guts to dismount. At least they don't wear sheets.

            It's a strange world out there, hence our discomfort when it intrudes. Will that war ever be fully understood?

            Tim

          • Rawlings, Kevin
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
              Tim,

              Nah!

              I think the specter of first amendment lawsuits and the probability
              Sharpsburg would lose in court denying a parade permit prodded our reluctant
              tax spending town council officials to issue the said permit.

              I guess the curse really works!

              Kevin