Weekend events in Sharpsburg

  • Rawlings, Kevin
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
      Group,

      Well, ladies and gents, the weekend saw the march and rally of the
      thankfully under-staffed soiled linen company of the KKK in our little
      historic hamlet of Sharpsburg. The ratio of County police, State police, NPS
      Park police, and various sundry SWAT squads and Homeland Security personnel
      was about 8 to 10 to 1. That would be 8 to 10 officers of the various
      branches of the law for every KKK marcher which numbered no more than a
      paltry 12 marchers. From my vantage point on Main Street, you could not
      really tell anything was going on except for the State Police helicopter
      flying over head.

      There were various Peace, Love and Unity counter-rallies going on at
      Antietam Battlefield, the Sharpsburg Pizzeria, and nearby Keedysville
      Ruritan Festival. The authorities kept the public and curiosity gawkers away
      from Lonnie Compton Park, the site of the KKK rally, and closed off the
      street their march was permitted on.

      KKK member Gordon Young, who we found out lived in our town for a year or
      two, was formerly the anonymous renter of the local Sharpsburg post office
      box that advertised the rally in fliers that began appearing in our area in
      February and March. After yesterday's news stories his covers has been blown
      (pun intended).

      Mr. Young decried the stifled KKK rally by denouncing the "Jew-controlled
      press" and the "Jew-run police departments". The grand wizard in attendance
      said Sharpsburg was chosen so they could pay their respects to the
      Confederate soldiers who fought there during the Battle of Antietam in 1862.
      The Sharpsburg town council when they issued the parade permit, stated the
      Klan members could not wear their sheets and hoods. Two members defied the
      prohibition and wore full Klan regalia while carrying the KKK flag and a
      purloined symbolic Confederate naval jack(it was not a battle flag!!).

      No one in attendance could tell if the sheets were Martha Stewart brand
      bedsheets or the thread count of their soiled linens. The rest of the
      members were fashionably dressed(though they won't make Blackwell's Best
      Dressed List by any stretch of the imagination, either robed, hooded or
      otherwise)in camoflage fatigues and t-shirts. One could say the authorities
      short-sheeted their rally before they got started(I am being purposely
      cheeky and sarcastic if you haven't already noticed).

      Young, currently of Hagerstown, said his group would be back next year as
      "many members of the community agreed with" KKK tenets. The heavy police and
      security presence was due in part to rumored participation of various skin
      head and hate organizations.

      Joseph Bednarsky of the White Nationalist Forum, came from New Jersey to
      march and support the Klan rally. He also complained of the way the
      authorities kept the group from getting their anti-Semetic,
      anti-African-American, anti-immigrant message out and would be filing a
      lawsuit through the ACLU. One has to wonder when Mr. Bednarsky began to deny
      his own family's immigrant experience. It is doubtful Bednarsky is a native
      or founding family name.

      The plethora of security concrete barriers lining various streets here in
      Sharpsburg, it was hard to tell if we were in Sharpsburg or Washington, D.C.
      following the raising of the Homeland security alert color code and endless
      street closures. By six o'clock pm, tractor trailers bearing the above
      mentioned barriers left our fair town. Left behind were the raw feelings of
      outrage and disgust our town had been selected to host these purveyors of
      hate and racism. (interested to see photos and news coverage of Sharpsburg
      unwanted moment in the news spotlight, and the various conter-rallies, see
      the Herald Mail's coverage on the internet in yesteday's (Sunday) news
      archives. Views expressed in this e-mail are entirely my own)

      Main Street front porch resident,
      Kevin Rawlings
    • Tim Reese
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
        Kevin,

        And I thought the Blair Witch was bad! One thought though--What if they held a parade and no one came? You shouldn't let them get to you. That's what they want; all extremists do. One can clearly hear the Confederate dead the other 364 days of the year. Peace.

        Tim
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • truthsaint023@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
          I would like to say I also went down the see this "grand KKK rally" merely
          out of curiosity. I went to see the face of hate, but all I saw was the face of
          stupidity-those two idiots in their hoods and the few skinhead types hanging
          out. That there were only two of them says a lot about support for their kind
          of mentality. I'm sorry to say, as well, that I'll bet at least $100,000 was
          shelled out to pay for the police protection, money better spent elsewhere. I'd
          bet part of their plan was to make government go to that kind of expense. Now
          I'm all for freedom of speech and freedom of stupidity but their thinking
          is just plain wrong. The crowd that did turn out, I would say, were also
          curiosity seekers; now I do wish I had not attended. This was the kind of event
          where no one should have shown up-that would have sent a bigger message.
          John Nelson

        • Rawlings, Kevin
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
            Tim,

            Except for the news coverage, on Sunday you couldn't tell anything had
            happened! At least we don't have a Blair witch which draws touri to your
            town (unless you count the one rumored to be buried in the Mumma cemetery,
            wink, wink.) I hear the "Blair Witch" curse has claimed another victim, the
            cinematographer for the movie died in a plane crash in the Pacific several
            weeks ago while scouting movie locations.

            All quiet on the Potomac Front,
            Kevin
          • Rawlings, Kevin
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
              John,

              I rode by the field about 3:00 while returning my daughter to her sleep-over
              in Rohrersville(sic)following a flute lesson in Hagerstown. Other than the
              the heavy police presence, tape and towed vehicles, it looked to be a
              tempest in a teapot. I understand the need for the security, especially by
              the rumor of hordes of skinheads and others of that ilk, but the hundreds of
              thousands of tax dollars expended for the security was the most painful
              thing about Saturday's rally. Like I reported before, some years ago they
              use to march and quit because they got no media attention or recruits along
              with some heckling. Well, its over. Let's hope they don't come back and
              crawl back beneath the rock they were hiding under.

              Kevin
            • Tim Reese
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
                Hi Kev,

                Reassuring to know things quickly reverted to the usual rural civility as they should. Sharpsburg is noted for this, a patina of placid calm superimposed over America's bloodiest day. All quiet on the Potomac indeed. Well said.

                How did those clowns get a march permit from the town council? Someone asleep at the switch, or just too "fair-minded"? I trust and hope their threat of a return performance next year is hollow. The online Herald-Mail article was deeply depressing. Close your doors, folks; turn your backs. The whirlwind passes quickly.

                On the local front, I'm happy to confirm that the Blair Witch cinematographer did indeed buy it in a plane crash. A Gettysburg friend sent me a news clipping. What goes around comes around.

                Producers Dan Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez have also hit rock bottom. Neither can find work, nor procure backing for new projects. Poor babies. Spent all their ill-gotten gains. My heart bleeds. We still get occasional drive-through gawkers, but they haven't the guts to dismount. At least they don't wear sheets.

                It's a strange world out there, hence our discomfort when it intrudes. Will that war ever be fully understood?

                Tim

              • Rawlings, Kevin
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 30, 2004
                  Tim,

                  Nah!

                  I think the specter of first amendment lawsuits and the probability
                  Sharpsburg would lose in court denying a parade permit prodded our reluctant
                  tax spending town council officials to issue the said permit.

                  I guess the curse really works!

                  Kevin