Re: [TalkAntietam]

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2004
      Ah -- how odd it is for a boy from Atlanta, Ga to hear you guys complain
      about the TRAFFIC in BURKITSVILLE!!!!!!!!! (With an "eye").
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2004
        Hi Richard,

        Actually the noted traffic problem lies on Rt. 34 east of
        Sharpsburg. Here in Burkittsville (two Ts--com'on folks, get it
        right) traffic is nonexistent except at "rush" hour. Cats sun
        themselves in the middle of the street midday. We get occasional
        speeders, but having no cops who's to stop them?

        On the other hand, in '93 I was down your way to see Atlanta CW
        sites where my g-grandfather fought before shoving off for Macon.
        The Athens Historical Society was dedicating a new marker at Laurel
        Hill Cemetery and, as we drove south out of Atlanta, a Doraville cop
        nailed us for speeding. Seems they have a traffic-ticket cottage
        industry going. You have to pay there immediately or the fine
        doubles. We had a tight schedule to keep, and so kept going.

        Upon returning to MD we also learned that the doubled fine doubles
        again after a very short time frame. By the time they were
        satisified we had shelled out over $300, all for 5 MPH over the
        limit. You can keep cities. Too aggressive for my taste. Nice place
        to visit, but...

        Tim