I assume no festival this year?

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2004
      I guess I can assume there will be no Sharpsburg Heritage Festival this year?

      Also, for what seems too common an occurrence, this appears in today's HERALD-MAIL:

      ANTIETAM CREEK USE STILL RISKY

      Portions of Antietam Creek remained posted with warnings on Tuesday advising swimmers and other users of the creek to steer clear of the waterway after the City of Hagerstown released sewage water that had not been disinfected into the creek Sunday. The warnings likely will remain today, said Kimmy Armstrong, a supervisor for the Washington County Health Department's Division of Environmental Health.

      The portion of the creek that is affected by the spill stretches from the city's Waste Water Treatment Plant on Frederick Street to the Potomac River. The health department requested the city post the signs after learning about the spill of 2.7 million gallons of partially treated sewage water over the course of five hours Sunday morning. The bacteria left in the water is linked to human feces and can cause intestinal cramping, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.

      Tom Shay
    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2004

        No Heritage Festival this year, although the Historical Society is trying to
        set up a booth or two with some living history. Let me check my home e-mail
        tonight because there was a meeting by them to see if they get any
        volunteers. Now if you want some real excitement, check out the Sharpsburg
        KKK rally that is supposedly taking place on the last weekend in August. The
        local interest is trying to find out who rents the POB their fliers
        advertise. A bunch of local churches are having a counter-rally. If you want
        something to see and do on what was festival weekend, the park is still
        having their torch light tour which I will be a part of.

        All the news for the moment,
        Kevin
      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2004
          Pardon my ignorance (I say that a LOT), but what is a POB?
          > No Heritage Festival this year, although the Historical Society is trying
          > set up a booth or two with some living history. Let me check my home
          e-mail
          > tonight because there was a meeting by them to see if they get any
          > volunteers. Now if you want some real excitement, check out the Sharpsburg
          > KKK rally that is supposedly taking place on the last weekend in August.
          The
          > local interest is trying to find out who rents the POB their fliers
          > advertise. A bunch of local churches are having a counter-rally. If you
          want
          > something to see and do on what was festival weekend, the park is still
          > having their torch light tour which I will be a part of.
          >
          > All the news for the moment,
          > Kevin
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Rawlings, Kevin
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2004
            Richard,

            POB stands for Post Office Box. We Sharpsburgians do not get mail delivery
            to our homes within the town limits. We have to go to the Post Office to get
            our mail in varying size Post Office Boxes. I have a mailing address as well
            as a street address which leads to exchanges at the DMV like "How do you
            live in a Post Office Box?". I have both on my driver's license. Up until a
            year or so ago I would get nasty grams from our Postmaster on my mail about
            making sure we give out our correct address (Postmaster meaning our POB
            address) when people would send us mail address to the street address.
            Sometimes the Postmaster would send mail back to the sender with "Incorrect
            Address". I can tell you it's a no-win situation. That's life in a small
            town like Sharpsburg. I'll let Tim Reese expound on small town life and its
            foibles in Burkettsville on his side of the mountain. In a side note,
            Boonsboro residents get mail delivery to their door within the town limits.
            Go figure!

            In a little piece of trivia, Sharpsburg near the beginning of the 19th
            century missed becoming the county seat of Washington County by one vote,
            thereby saving us from becoming Hagerstown in size and scope which did
            become the county seat. Also, Sharpsburg was in the running to become the
            nation's capitol when sites up and down the east coast vied to become the
            chosen site. Old maps of Sharpsburg show the street grid layout of the
            National capitol site just outside the Sharpsburg town limits near the
            Potomac. Some of that area is encompassed by what is locally known as Lee's
            retreat glen where the ANV retreated across the Potomac back into what was
            then Virginia.

            How's the weather in Atlanta this time of year?

            Well, I've bent your ear enough with useless trivia, back to our regular
            programming. :>)

            All the best,
            Kevin
          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2004
              Sharpsburg, D.C. Has a nice ring to it!!!!!!! It that had happened, I'll
              bet you could have gotten mail delivered to your door. That's really odd.
              How hard could it be? There are only 12 of you, right? It wouldn't take an
              hour to deliver it by bicycle!

              Weather in HOTlanta -- 91 & 91. Hot and humid.