Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: "At ease"

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
      Or maybe you'll find your way down to Atlanta (Kennesaw Mountain NBP)
      someday.
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
        Dear Richard,

        Now that I would truly love to do someday!

      • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
          > From: <richard@...>

          > Was "at ease" a command in 1862? If not -- what would have been it's
          > equivalent?

          Richard,

          I do not believe it was a textbook "command. I have not come across it in any
          drill manuals that I have studied.

          I believe that the command "Rest" would have been used in a military formation.

          Was it used in a conversational situation, such as an soldier appearing before
          a superior officer in an office setting? That, I am not sure because we do not
          have much in the way of primary source documentation on normal dialogue except
          theatrical military "personations."

          I did not find any "at ease" expression in my slang dictionaries, and the word
          "ease" in the eighteenth and nineteenth century had more worldly nuances.

          Bill Christen
          --
          gwjchris@...
        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
            Thank you Bill.

            Here's the situation.

            It's a council of war. A room full of generals (division and corps
            commanders) are sitting around awaiting the arrival of the Commanding
            General of the Army of the Potomac (in this case, Ambrose Burnside).
            Burnside enters the room and they all come to attention. What would
            Burnside say? In modern terms it would be "as you were."

            Sidebar -- he doesn't say it becaused he is REALLY POd, and he keeps them
            standing -- but I need to know what he "should have said" anyway.