Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: "At ease"

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
      Dear Richard,

      If you mean two weekend ago, I had other plans. If you mean this
      weekend which just ended, I also had other plans..........

      However, what is to say that we might not meet on the Field at
      some point?

      I remain,
      Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
      Jno. Walter Fairfax,
      AA & IG
      First Corps, Army of No. Va.
      (Civil War Heritage Foundation)
      &
      G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
      Corporal,
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
      else we shall grow too fond of it."
      --Robert E. Lee
    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
        Or maybe you'll find your way down to Atlanta (Kennesaw Mountain NBP)
        someday.

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
          Dear Richard,

          Now that I would truly love to do someday!

        • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
            > From: <richard@...>

            > Was "at ease" a command in 1862? If not -- what would have been it's
            > equivalent?

            Richard,

            I do not believe it was a textbook "command. I have not come across it in any
            drill manuals that I have studied.

            I believe that the command "Rest" would have been used in a military formation.

            Was it used in a conversational situation, such as an soldier appearing before
            a superior officer in an office setting? That, I am not sure because we do not
            have much in the way of primary source documentation on normal dialogue except
            theatrical military "personations."

            I did not find any "at ease" expression in my slang dictionaries, and the word
            "ease" in the eighteenth and nineteenth century had more worldly nuances.

            Bill Christen
            --
            gwjchris@...
          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
              Thank you Bill.

              Here's the situation.

              It's a council of war. A room full of generals (division and corps
              commanders) are sitting around awaiting the arrival of the Commanding
              General of the Army of the Potomac (in this case, Ambrose Burnside).
              Burnside enters the room and they all come to attention. What would
              Burnside say? In modern terms it would be "as you were."

              Sidebar -- he doesn't say it becaused he is REALLY POd, and he keeps them
              standing -- but I need to know what he "should have said" anyway.