Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: "At ease"

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
      NJ --

      That is JUST the kind of "stuff" I am always looking for. Things like "In
      place, rest" lend a great amount to authenticity to my work. Thank you!!!!

      And -- by the way ---

      "In place -- REST!"

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
        Dear Richard,

        Thanks for the compliment. There are others on this forum who are
        more experienced in this sort of thing than I.

        BTW, if you are going to be anywhere near Antietam on 21st
        August, I would be very happy to meet you there. I will be
        journeying there with a friend who portrays Lt. General James
        Longstreet for the Civil War Heritage Foundation and possibly
        some other friends, etc for a personal tour. (I portray John
        Walter Fairfax for the CWHF.)

        You can take the matter above to private email if you wish beyond
        this point.

        I remain,
        Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
        G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
        Corporal,
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
        else we shall grow too fond of it."
        --Robert E. Lee

        > That is JUST the kind of "stuff" I am always looking for.
        Things like "In
        > place, rest" lend a great amount to authenticity to my work.
        Thank you!!!!

        > And -- by the way ---
        >
        > "In place -- REST!"

        Terms

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
          Rats! I just missed you. I was up there last weekend.
          > Thanks for the compliment. There are others on this forum who are
          > more experienced in this sort of thing than I.
          >
          > BTW, if you are going to be anywhere near Antietam on 21st
          > August, I would be very happy to meet you there. I will be
          > journeying there with a friend who portrays Lt. General James
          > Longstreet for the Civil War Heritage Foundation and possibly
          > some other friends, etc for a personal tour. (I portray John
          > Walter Fairfax for the CWHF.)
          >
          > You can take the matter above to private email if you wish beyond
          > this point.
          >
          > I remain,
          > Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
          > G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
          > Corporal,
          > Confederate Signal Corps,
          > Longstreet's Corps
          >
          > "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
          > else we shall grow too fond of it."
          > --Robert E. Lee

        • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
            "Sit down. Shut up."

            It's timeless.

            Was "at ease" a command in 1862? If not -- what would have been it's
            equivalent?
            > Thanks much for the photos. Very interesting re James Longstreet
            > Jr. military service.
            >
            > I remain,
            > Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
            > G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
            > Corporal,
            > Confederate Signal Corps,
            > Longstreet's Corps
            >
            > "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
            > else we shall grow too fond of it."
            > --Robert E. Lee

            [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by AmeriMail]

            ---
            Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

            ---

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
              For a second there, I thought you were talking to me!

              This is a FUNNY group!

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
                Dear Richard,

                If you mean two weekend ago, I had other plans. If you mean this
                weekend which just ended, I also had other plans..........

                However, what is to say that we might not meet on the Field at
                some point?

                I remain,
                Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
                Jno. Walter Fairfax,
                AA & IG
                First Corps, Army of No. Va.
                (Civil War Heritage Foundation)
                &

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
                  Or maybe you'll find your way down to Atlanta (Kennesaw Mountain NBP)
                  someday.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
                    Dear Richard,

                    Now that I would truly love to do someday!

                  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
                      > From: <richard@...>

                      > Was "at ease" a command in 1862? If not -- what would have been it's
                      > equivalent?

                      Richard,

                      I do not believe it was a textbook "command. I have not come across it in any
                      drill manuals that I have studied.

                      I believe that the command "Rest" would have been used in a military formation.

                      Was it used in a conversational situation, such as an soldier appearing before
                      a superior officer in an office setting? That, I am not sure because we do not
                      have much in the way of primary source documentation on normal dialogue except
                      theatrical military "personations."

                      I did not find any "at ease" expression in my slang dictionaries, and the word
                      "ease" in the eighteenth and nineteenth century had more worldly nuances.

                      Bill Christen
                      --
                      gwjchris@...
                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
                        Thank you Bill.

                        Here's the situation.

                        It's a council of war. A room full of generals (division and corps
                        commanders) are sitting around awaiting the arrival of the Commanding
                        General of the Army of the Potomac (in this case, Ambrose Burnside).
                        Burnside enters the room and they all come to attention. What would
                        Burnside say? In modern terms it would be "as you were."

                        Sidebar -- he doesn't say it becaused he is REALLY POd, and he keeps them
                        standing -- but I need to know what he "should have said" anyway.