Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: "At ease"

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 7:06 PM
      Dear Richard,

      Interesting question. If you go to The Drill Network website, and
      then peruse either Hardee's or Gilham's or Casey's Manuals, you
      might be able to make such a determination.

      I do not believe such a command as currently known existed at the
      time. However, there are two commands used on the line to
      indicate the soldiers did not have to remain at strict attention.
      One is "Parade Rest" (which means they extend their right foot
      backwards about six inches, lean their muskets into their right
      shoulders and clasp their hands together at about the third
      band). The other command is "In place, rest"; this command is
      executed just like "Prade, rest" but the men can talk, etc. but
      must have one foot at least marking their spot in the line.

      Hope this helps....

      BTW, the above is from Gilham's, which is the Drill Manual used
      by my reenacting organization, Longstreet's Corps....

      I remain,
      Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
      G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
      Corporal,
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
      else we shall grow too fond of it."
      --Robert E. Lee

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1 7:12 PM
        NJ --

        That is JUST the kind of "stuff" I am always looking for. Things like "In
        place, rest" lend a great amount to authenticity to my work. Thank you!!!!

        And -- by the way ---

        "In place -- REST!"

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1 7:21 PM
          Dear Richard,

          Thanks for the compliment. There are others on this forum who are
          more experienced in this sort of thing than I.

          BTW, if you are going to be anywhere near Antietam on 21st
          August, I would be very happy to meet you there. I will be
          journeying there with a friend who portrays Lt. General James
          Longstreet for the Civil War Heritage Foundation and possibly
          some other friends, etc for a personal tour. (I portray John
          Walter Fairfax for the CWHF.)

          You can take the matter above to private email if you wish beyond
          this point.

          I remain,
          Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
          G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
          Corporal,
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
          else we shall grow too fond of it."
          --Robert E. Lee

          > That is JUST the kind of "stuff" I am always looking for.
          Things like "In
          > place, rest" lend a great amount to authenticity to my work.
          Thank you!!!!

          > And -- by the way ---
          >
          > "In place -- REST!"

          Terms

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2 6:12 AM
            Rats! I just missed you. I was up there last weekend.
            > Thanks for the compliment. There are others on this forum who are
            > more experienced in this sort of thing than I.
            >
            > BTW, if you are going to be anywhere near Antietam on 21st
            > August, I would be very happy to meet you there. I will be
            > journeying there with a friend who portrays Lt. General James
            > Longstreet for the Civil War Heritage Foundation and possibly
            > some other friends, etc for a personal tour. (I portray John
            > Walter Fairfax for the CWHF.)
            >
            > You can take the matter above to private email if you wish beyond
            > this point.
            >
            > I remain,
            > Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
            > G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
            > Corporal,
            > Confederate Signal Corps,
            > Longstreet's Corps
            >
            > "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
            > else we shall grow too fond of it."
            > --Robert E. Lee

          • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2 7:13 AM
              "Sit down. Shut up."

              It's timeless.

              Was "at ease" a command in 1862? If not -- what would have been it's
              equivalent?
              > Thanks much for the photos. Very interesting re James Longstreet
              > Jr. military service.
              >
              > I remain,
              > Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
              > G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
              > Corporal,
              > Confederate Signal Corps,
              > Longstreet's Corps
              >
              > "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
              > else we shall grow too fond of it."
              > --Robert E. Lee

              [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by AmeriMail]

              ---
              Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

              ---

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2 7:18 AM
                For a second there, I thought you were talking to me!

                This is a FUNNY group!

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2 3:07 PM
                  Dear Richard,

                  If you mean two weekend ago, I had other plans. If you mean this
                  weekend which just ended, I also had other plans..........

                  However, what is to say that we might not meet on the Field at
                  some point?

                  I remain,
                  Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
                  Jno. Walter Fairfax,
                  AA & IG
                  First Corps, Army of No. Va.
                  (Civil War Heritage Foundation)
                  &

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2 4:32 PM
                    Or maybe you'll find your way down to Atlanta (Kennesaw Mountain NBP)
                    someday.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2 5:32 PM
                      Dear Richard,

                      Now that I would truly love to do someday!

                    • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 3 10:19 AM
                        > From: <richard@...>

                        > Was "at ease" a command in 1862? If not -- what would have been it's
                        > equivalent?

                        Richard,

                        I do not believe it was a textbook "command. I have not come across it in any
                        drill manuals that I have studied.

                        I believe that the command "Rest" would have been used in a military formation.

                        Was it used in a conversational situation, such as an soldier appearing before
                        a superior officer in an office setting? That, I am not sure because we do not
                        have much in the way of primary source documentation on normal dialogue except
                        theatrical military "personations."

                        I did not find any "at ease" expression in my slang dictionaries, and the word
                        "ease" in the eighteenth and nineteenth century had more worldly nuances.

                        Bill Christen
                        --
                        gwjchris@...
                      • richard@rcroker.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 3 12:38 PM
                          Thank you Bill.

                          Here's the situation.

                          It's a council of war. A room full of generals (division and corps
                          commanders) are sitting around awaiting the arrival of the Commanding
                          General of the Army of the Potomac (in this case, Ambrose Burnside).
                          Burnside enters the room and they all come to attention. What would
                          Burnside say? In modern terms it would be "as you were."

                          Sidebar -- he doesn't say it becaused he is REALLY POd, and he keeps them
                          standing -- but I need to know what he "should have said" anyway.