Re: "At ease"

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
      Was "at ease" a command in 1862? If not -- what would have been it's
      equivalent?
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
        Dear Richard,

        Interesting question. If you go to The Drill Network website, and
        then peruse either Hardee's or Gilham's or Casey's Manuals, you
        might be able to make such a determination.

        I do not believe such a command as currently known existed at the
        time. However, there are two commands used on the line to
        indicate the soldiers did not have to remain at strict attention.
        One is "Parade Rest" (which means they extend their right foot
        backwards about six inches, lean their muskets into their right
        shoulders and clasp their hands together at about the third
        band). The other command is "In place, rest"; this command is
        executed just like "Prade, rest" but the men can talk, etc. but
        must have one foot at least marking their spot in the line.

        Hope this helps....

        BTW, the above is from Gilham's, which is the Drill Manual used
        by my reenacting organization, Longstreet's Corps....

        I remain,
        Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
        G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
        Corporal,
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
        else we shall grow too fond of it."
        --Robert E. Lee

        > Was "at ease" a command in 1862? If not -- what would have
        been it's
        > equivalent?

        Terms

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
          NJ --

          That is JUST the kind of "stuff" I am always looking for. Things like "In
          place, rest" lend a great amount to authenticity to my work. Thank you!!!!

          And -- by the way ---

          "In place -- REST!"

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
            Dear Richard,

            Thanks for the compliment. There are others on this forum who are
            more experienced in this sort of thing than I.

            BTW, if you are going to be anywhere near Antietam on 21st
            August, I would be very happy to meet you there. I will be
            journeying there with a friend who portrays Lt. General James
            Longstreet for the Civil War Heritage Foundation and possibly
            some other friends, etc for a personal tour. (I portray John
            Walter Fairfax for the CWHF.)

            You can take the matter above to private email if you wish beyond
            this point.

            I remain,
            Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
            G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
            Corporal,
            Confederate Signal Corps,
            Longstreet's Corps

            "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
            else we shall grow too fond of it."
            --Robert E. Lee

            > That is JUST the kind of "stuff" I am always looking for.
            Things like "In
            > place, rest" lend a great amount to authenticity to my work.
            Thank you!!!!

            > And -- by the way ---
            >
            > "In place -- REST!"

            Terms

          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
              Rats! I just missed you. I was up there last weekend.
              > Thanks for the compliment. There are others on this forum who are
              > more experienced in this sort of thing than I.
              >
              > BTW, if you are going to be anywhere near Antietam on 21st
              > August, I would be very happy to meet you there. I will be
              > journeying there with a friend who portrays Lt. General James
              > Longstreet for the Civil War Heritage Foundation and possibly
              > some other friends, etc for a personal tour. (I portray John
              > Walter Fairfax for the CWHF.)
              >
              > You can take the matter above to private email if you wish beyond
              > this point.
              >
              > I remain,
              > Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
              > G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
              > Corporal,
              > Confederate Signal Corps,
              > Longstreet's Corps
              >
              > "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
              > else we shall grow too fond of it."
              > --Robert E. Lee

            • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
                "Sit down. Shut up."

                It's timeless.

                Was "at ease" a command in 1862? If not -- what would have been it's
                equivalent?
                > Thanks much for the photos. Very interesting re James Longstreet
                > Jr. military service.
                >
                > I remain,
                > Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
                > G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
                > Corporal,
                > Confederate Signal Corps,
                > Longstreet's Corps
                >
                > "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
                > else we shall grow too fond of it."
                > --Robert E. Lee

                [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by AmeriMail]

                ---
                Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                ---

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
                  For a second there, I thought you were talking to me!

                  This is a FUNNY group!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
                    Dear Richard,

                    If you mean two weekend ago, I had other plans. If you mean this
                    weekend which just ended, I also had other plans..........

                    However, what is to say that we might not meet on the Field at
                    some point?

                    I remain,
                    Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
                    Jno. Walter Fairfax,
                    AA & IG
                    First Corps, Army of No. Va.
                    (Civil War Heritage Foundation)
                    &

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
                      Or maybe you'll find your way down to Atlanta (Kennesaw Mountain NBP)
                      someday.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
                        Dear Richard,

                        Now that I would truly love to do someday!

                      • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
                          > From: <richard@...>

                          > Was "at ease" a command in 1862? If not -- what would have been it's
                          > equivalent?

                          Richard,

                          I do not believe it was a textbook "command. I have not come across it in any
                          drill manuals that I have studied.

                          I believe that the command "Rest" would have been used in a military formation.

                          Was it used in a conversational situation, such as an soldier appearing before
                          a superior officer in an office setting? That, I am not sure because we do not
                          have much in the way of primary source documentation on normal dialogue except
                          theatrical military "personations."

                          I did not find any "at ease" expression in my slang dictionaries, and the word
                          "ease" in the eighteenth and nineteenth century had more worldly nuances.

                          Bill Christen
                          --
                          gwjchris@...
                        • richard@rcroker.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
                            Thank you Bill.

                            Here's the situation.

                            It's a council of war. A room full of generals (division and corps
                            commanders) are sitting around awaiting the arrival of the Commanding
                            General of the Army of the Potomac (in this case, Ambrose Burnside).
                            Burnside enters the room and they all come to attention. What would
                            Burnside say? In modern terms it would be "as you were."

                            Sidebar -- he doesn't say it becaused he is REALLY POd, and he keeps them
                            standing -- but I need to know what he "should have said" anyway.