Re: [TalkAntietam] Longsteet's kids

  • Brian Morris
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
      Yes, they are buried next to each other and share a headstone. Neither
      however were generals. One was a Lt Col and the other a Major. Here's two
      webpages with info on the graves of the two men.
      http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jameslon.htm
      http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/robertle.htm

      Brian

      > Dear Brian and Richard,
      >
      > The two sons who are buried in Arlington were, IIRC according to
      > a good friend who does a Longstreet portrayal, buried together.
      > One of the brothers became a MG in the US Army..............
      >
      > I remain,
      > Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
      > G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
      > Corporal,
      > Confederate Signal Corps,
      > Longstreet's Corps
      >
      > "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
      > else we shall grow too fond of it."
      > --Robert E. Lee

    • Brian Morris
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
        There was actually talk at one point of having both James Longstreet and
        George Pickett moved to Arlington and being reburied together next to each
        other, their sons and a Confederate monument of some sort (Not the current
        Confederate monument at Arlington). I don't recall the details off the top
        of my head and of course it never came about.

        Brian

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
          Dear Brian and TJ,

          Thanks much for the photos. Very interesting re James Longstreet
          Jr. military service.