Re: [TalkAntietam] Longsteet's kids

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27 2:32 PM
      Dear Brian and Richard,

      The two sons who are buried in Arlington were, IIRC according to
      a good friend who does a Longstreet portrayal, buried together.
      One of the brothers became a MG in the US Army..............

      I remain,
      Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
      G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
      Corporal,
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
      else we shall grow too fond of it."
      --Robert E. Lee

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27 3:08 PM
        Gerry Mayers wrote:

        > Dear Brian and Richard,
        >
        > The two sons who are buried in Arlington were, IIRC according to
        > a good friend who does a Longstreet portrayal, buried together.
        > One of the brothers became a MG in the US Army..............

        For photos of the brothers' gravesite and some background information
        you can go to: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jameslon.htm for photos and
        information on Major George Edward Pickett, Jr. who is buried near the
        Longstreet boys, click on: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/georgeed.htm

        Regards,
        Teej
      • Brian Morris
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27 3:34 PM
          Yes, they are buried next to each other and share a headstone. Neither
          however were generals. One was a Lt Col and the other a Major. Here's two
          webpages with info on the graves of the two men.
          http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jameslon.htm
          http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/robertle.htm

          Brian

          > Dear Brian and Richard,
          >
          > The two sons who are buried in Arlington were, IIRC according to
          > a good friend who does a Longstreet portrayal, buried together.
          > One of the brothers became a MG in the US Army..............
          >
          > I remain,
          > Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
          > G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
          > Corporal,
          > Confederate Signal Corps,
          > Longstreet's Corps
          >
          > "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
          > else we shall grow too fond of it."
          > --Robert E. Lee

        • Brian Morris
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 27 3:43 PM
            There was actually talk at one point of having both James Longstreet and
            George Pickett moved to Arlington and being reburied together next to each
            other, their sons and a Confederate monument of some sort (Not the current
            Confederate monument at Arlington). I don't recall the details off the top
            of my head and of course it never came about.

            Brian

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 27 6:55 PM
              Dear Brian and TJ,

              Thanks much for the photos. Very interesting re James Longstreet
              Jr. military service.