Re: [TalkAntietam] Longsteet's kids

  • Brian Morris
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
      Longstreet lost 3 children. James who was 4, Augustus who was 11 and Mary
      Ann who was almost 2. They are buried together in Hollywood Cemetery in
      Richmond Virginia.

      Of his other children, at Arlington National Cemetery you will find the
      graves of his two sons James Longstreet Jr and Robert Lee Longstreet.

      Brian

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
        Thank you , sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar!

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
          Dear Brian and Richard,

          The two sons who are buried in Arlington were, IIRC according to
          a good friend who does a Longstreet portrayal, buried together.
          One of the brothers became a MG in the US Army..............

          I remain,
          Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
          G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
          Corporal,
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
          else we shall grow too fond of it."
          --Robert E. Lee

          > Longstreet lost 3 children. James who was 4, Augustus who was
          11 and Mary
          > Ann who was almost 2. They are buried together in Hollywood
          Cemetery in
          > Richmond Virginia.
          >
          > Of his other children, at Arlington National Cemetery you will
          find the
          > graves of his two sons James Longstreet Jr and Robert Lee
          Longstreet.

          > Brian

        • Teej Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
            Gerry Mayers wrote:

            > Dear Brian and Richard,
            >
            > The two sons who are buried in Arlington were, IIRC according to
            > a good friend who does a Longstreet portrayal, buried together.
            > One of the brothers became a MG in the US Army..............

            For photos of the brothers' gravesite and some background information
            you can go to: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jameslon.htm for photos and
            information on Major George Edward Pickett, Jr. who is buried near the
            Longstreet boys, click on: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/georgeed.htm

            Regards,
            Teej
          • Brian Morris
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
              Yes, they are buried next to each other and share a headstone. Neither
              however were generals. One was a Lt Col and the other a Major. Here's two
              webpages with info on the graves of the two men.
              http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jameslon.htm
              http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/robertle.htm

              Brian

              > Dear Brian and Richard,
              >
              > The two sons who are buried in Arlington were, IIRC according to
              > a good friend who does a Longstreet portrayal, buried together.
              > One of the brothers became a MG in the US Army..............
              >
              > I remain,
              > Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
              > G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
              > Corporal,
              > Confederate Signal Corps,
              > Longstreet's Corps
              >
              > "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
              > else we shall grow too fond of it."
              > --Robert E. Lee

            • Brian Morris
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
                There was actually talk at one point of having both James Longstreet and
                George Pickett moved to Arlington and being reburied together next to each
                other, their sons and a Confederate monument of some sort (Not the current
                Confederate monument at Arlington). I don't recall the details off the top
                of my head and of course it never came about.

                Brian

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
                  Dear Brian and TJ,

                  Thanks much for the photos. Very interesting re James Longstreet
                  Jr. military service.