Longsteet's kids

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
      Pete lost several children to the fever. Does anyone know the number and
      genders????????
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
        Longstreet lost 3 children. James who was 4, Augustus who was 11 and Mary
        Ann who was almost 2. They are buried together in Hollywood Cemetery in
        Richmond Virginia.

        Of his other children, at Arlington National Cemetery you will find the
        graves of his two sons James Longstreet Jr and Robert Lee Longstreet.

        Brian

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
          Thank you , sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar!

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
            Dear Brian and Richard,

            The two sons who are buried in Arlington were, IIRC according to
            a good friend who does a Longstreet portrayal, buried together.
            One of the brothers became a MG in the US Army..............

            I remain,
            Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
            G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
            Corporal,
            Confederate Signal Corps,
            Longstreet's Corps

            "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
            else we shall grow too fond of it."
            --Robert E. Lee

            > Longstreet lost 3 children. James who was 4, Augustus who was
            11 and Mary
            > Ann who was almost 2. They are buried together in Hollywood
            Cemetery in
            > Richmond Virginia.
            >
            > Of his other children, at Arlington National Cemetery you will
            find the
            > graves of his two sons James Longstreet Jr and Robert Lee
            Longstreet.

            > Brian

          • Teej Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
              Gerry Mayers wrote:

              > Dear Brian and Richard,
              >
              > The two sons who are buried in Arlington were, IIRC according to
              > a good friend who does a Longstreet portrayal, buried together.
              > One of the brothers became a MG in the US Army..............

              For photos of the brothers' gravesite and some background information
              you can go to: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jameslon.htm for photos and
              information on Major George Edward Pickett, Jr. who is buried near the
              Longstreet boys, click on: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/georgeed.htm

              Regards,
              Teej
            • Brian Morris
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
                Yes, they are buried next to each other and share a headstone. Neither
                however were generals. One was a Lt Col and the other a Major. Here's two
                webpages with info on the graves of the two men.
                http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jameslon.htm
                http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/robertle.htm

                Brian

                > Dear Brian and Richard,
                >
                > The two sons who are buried in Arlington were, IIRC according to
                > a good friend who does a Longstreet portrayal, buried together.
                > One of the brothers became a MG in the US Army..............
                >
                > I remain,
                > Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
                > G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
                > Corporal,
                > Confederate Signal Corps,
                > Longstreet's Corps
                >
                > "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
                > else we shall grow too fond of it."
                > --Robert E. Lee

              • Brian Morris
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
                  There was actually talk at one point of having both James Longstreet and
                  George Pickett moved to Arlington and being reburied together next to each
                  other, their sons and a Confederate monument of some sort (Not the current
                  Confederate monument at Arlington). I don't recall the details off the top
                  of my head and of course it never came about.

                  Brian

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 27, 2004
                    Dear Brian and TJ,

                    Thanks much for the photos. Very interesting re James Longstreet
                    Jr. military service.