RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: Richard at Antietam -- book signing

  • Rawlings, Kevin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
      Richard,

      I got jammed up Saturday with child care issues. My wife neglected to tell
      me she was not going to be home when she announced Saturday morning she had
      to go to work in Gettysburg. I had a house full of female tweenagers my
      daughter invited over for a gathering. I kept thinking I could slip out for
      a half hour or so but just plain ran out of time. I should have let you know
      where I live in town so you could stop by. Sounds like you had a successful
      weekend which I am glad for you and hope it continues well into the future.

      All the best,
      Kevin
    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
        Oh my God! A house full of teenaged girls????? I'm glad you
        survived!!!!!!!

        > I got jammed up Saturday with child care issues. My wife neglected to tell
        > me she was not going to be home when she announced Saturday morning she
        had
        > to go to work in Gettysburg. I had a house full of female tweenagers my
        > daughter invited over for a gathering. I kept thinking I could slip out
        for
        > a half hour or so but just plain ran out of time. I should have let you
        know
        > where I live in town so you could stop by. Sounds like you had a
        successful
        > weekend which I am glad for you and hope it continues well into the
        future.

        > All the best,
        > Kevin
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rawlings, Kevin
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
          My sanity is going to take awhile before it returns to normal if it ever
          does,...but then again I have been often told I am anything but normal.
          Normal is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Teenagers, not quite, they
          were tweenagers (all twelve years old). I am on my way to Tarheelia(NC) in a
          couple of weeks for some research at Duke and UNC with a friend of mine from
          NC. Where in Georgia are you from Richard? I will be in Columbus the first
          Friday and Saturday in December. Maybe we can arrange to get together then.

          Kevin

          -
        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
            I'm in Marietta -- just north of Atlanta and a stone's throw from the
            Kennesaw Mountain NBP. If you're driving, you'll pass my house (almost).
            Give me a call!!!!!! Maybe we can meet then.

            770-977-2397
            > My sanity is going to take awhile before it returns to normal if it ever
            > does,...but then again I have been often told I am anything but normal.
            > Normal is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Teenagers, not quite, they
            > were tweenagers (all twelve years old). I am on my way to Tarheelia(NC) in
            > couple of weeks for some research at Duke and UNC with a friend of mine
            from
            > NC. Where in Georgia are you from Richard? I will be in Columbus the first
            > Friday and Saturday in December. Maybe we can arrange to get together
            then.

            > Kevin
            >
            > -
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Teej Smith
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
              Kevin Rawlings wrote:

              <Snip>

              > I am on my way to Tarheelia(NC) in a
              > couple of weeks for some research at Duke and UNC with a friend of mine
              from
              > NC.

              Hi Kevin,

              Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. I was at the Wilson
              Library about 10 days ago and you'll be happy to know that the portrait of
              Brig. Gen. Reverence N. Awe has been returned to it's rightful spot in the
              reading room of the Manuscripts Dept. New policy at Wilson, you can no
              longer make your own copies so anything you don't have time to write out or
              "laptop" has to be left for the print dept. to copy and mail to you. :-(
              However, this policy does not extend to their microfilm section or anything
              from the North Carolina Collections Room. See you on the 12th.

              Best Regards,
              Teej
            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
                Excuse me??????

                There was actually a person called Reverence N. Awe?????

                If so, I am in "N Awe" of his parents!

                > > couple of weeks for some research at Duke and UNC with a friend of mine
                > from
                > > NC.
                >
                > Hi Kevin,
                >
                > Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. I was at the
                Wilson
                > Library about 10 days ago and you'll be happy to know that the portrait of
                > Brig. Gen. Reverence N. Awe has been returned to it's rightful spot in
                the
                > reading room of the Manuscripts Dept. New policy at Wilson, you can no
                > longer make your own copies so anything you don't have time to write out
                or
                > "laptop" has to be left for the print dept. to copy and mail to you. :-(
                > However, this policy does not extend to their microfilm section or
                anything
                > from the North Carolina Collections Room. See you on the 12th.
                >
                > Best Regards,
                > Teej
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Teej Smith
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
                  Richard Croker wrote:

                  > Excuse me??????
                  >
                  > There was actually a person called Reverence N. Awe?????
                  >
                  > If so, I am in "N Awe" of his parents!

                  LOL...just a wee bit of Tar Heel humor. Most people called him Brig.
                  Gen. J. Johnston Pettigrew who graduated from the University of North
                  Carolina with a perfect 4.0 average, and as Longstreet said in THE MOVIE,
                  "they still speak of your grades with reverence and awe. Actually, Pettigrew
                  and Matt Ransom had identical G.P.A.s the story of how that was resolved is
                  an interesting one, and one which caused a life-long rivalry between Ransom
                  and Pettigrew. Unfortunately,for Pettigrew "life-long" wasn't all that long.

                  Regards,
                  Teej