Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Richard at Antietam -- book signing

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 19, 2004
      Can't wait!!!
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Rawlings, Kevin" <kevin.rawlings@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 1:20 PM
      Subject: RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: Richard at Antietam -- book signing

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 25, 2004
        Kevin -- where were you on Saturday??????? Sorry I didn't get to meet you.

        It was GRAND. Obviously a dream come true for me to sign the book at the
        battlefield park. My wife came with me -- it was her FIRST trip (my 8th or
        10th). Ted Alexander introduced me to Ed Bearss by telling him that my book
        is "...the 'Killer Angels' of Antietam." That's darned high priase --
        especially coming from Ted.

        Peter Smith came by -- He's Walter Smith's son. Did you know Walter?
        That's a story for another day, but I dedicated my book in part to Walter,
        and it was a very emotional meeting.

        Had dinner with Chris and Densie Yeager. This whole rigmaroll began when
        Chris gave me his copy of "Killer Angels" about 12 years ago. I returned it
        to him this weekend. He's says now he's got to try to remember who HE
        borrowed it from. :-)

        Anyway -- sorry I missed you. Maybe next time.

        Richard Croker
        > I'll drop in and introduce myself to you at ANB as I am sure I will be
        hard
        > to spot:>) otherwise.
        >
        > Kevin Rawlings
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rawlings, Kevin
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
          Richard,

          I got jammed up Saturday with child care issues. My wife neglected to tell
          me she was not going to be home when she announced Saturday morning she had
          to go to work in Gettysburg. I had a house full of female tweenagers my
          daughter invited over for a gathering. I kept thinking I could slip out for
          a half hour or so but just plain ran out of time. I should have let you know
          where I live in town so you could stop by. Sounds like you had a successful
          weekend which I am glad for you and hope it continues well into the future.

          All the best,
          Kevin
        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
            Oh my God! A house full of teenaged girls????? I'm glad you
            survived!!!!!!!

            > I got jammed up Saturday with child care issues. My wife neglected to tell
            > me she was not going to be home when she announced Saturday morning she
            had
            > to go to work in Gettysburg. I had a house full of female tweenagers my
            > daughter invited over for a gathering. I kept thinking I could slip out
            for
            > a half hour or so but just plain ran out of time. I should have let you
            know
            > where I live in town so you could stop by. Sounds like you had a
            successful
            > weekend which I am glad for you and hope it continues well into the
            future.

            > All the best,
            > Kevin
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Rawlings, Kevin
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
              My sanity is going to take awhile before it returns to normal if it ever
              does,...but then again I have been often told I am anything but normal.
              Normal is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Teenagers, not quite, they
              were tweenagers (all twelve years old). I am on my way to Tarheelia(NC) in a
              couple of weeks for some research at Duke and UNC with a friend of mine from
              NC. Where in Georgia are you from Richard? I will be in Columbus the first
              Friday and Saturday in December. Maybe we can arrange to get together then.

              Kevin

              -
            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
                I'm in Marietta -- just north of Atlanta and a stone's throw from the
                Kennesaw Mountain NBP. If you're driving, you'll pass my house (almost).
                Give me a call!!!!!! Maybe we can meet then.

                770-977-2397
                > My sanity is going to take awhile before it returns to normal if it ever
                > does,...but then again I have been often told I am anything but normal.
                > Normal is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Teenagers, not quite, they
                > were tweenagers (all twelve years old). I am on my way to Tarheelia(NC) in
                > couple of weeks for some research at Duke and UNC with a friend of mine
                from
                > NC. Where in Georgia are you from Richard? I will be in Columbus the first
                > Friday and Saturday in December. Maybe we can arrange to get together
                then.

                > Kevin
                >
                > -
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Teej Smith
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
                  Kevin Rawlings wrote:

                  <Snip>

                  > I am on my way to Tarheelia(NC) in a
                  > couple of weeks for some research at Duke and UNC with a friend of mine
                  from
                  > NC.

                  Hi Kevin,

                  Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. I was at the Wilson
                  Library about 10 days ago and you'll be happy to know that the portrait of
                  Brig. Gen. Reverence N. Awe has been returned to it's rightful spot in the
                  reading room of the Manuscripts Dept. New policy at Wilson, you can no
                  longer make your own copies so anything you don't have time to write out or
                  "laptop" has to be left for the print dept. to copy and mail to you. :-(
                  However, this policy does not extend to their microfilm section or anything
                  from the North Carolina Collections Room. See you on the 12th.

                  Best Regards,
                  Teej
                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
                    Excuse me??????

                    There was actually a person called Reverence N. Awe?????

                    If so, I am in "N Awe" of his parents!

                    > > couple of weeks for some research at Duke and UNC with a friend of mine
                    > from
                    > > NC.
                    >
                    > Hi Kevin,
                    >
                    > Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. I was at the
                    Wilson
                    > Library about 10 days ago and you'll be happy to know that the portrait of
                    > Brig. Gen. Reverence N. Awe has been returned to it's rightful spot in
                    the
                    > reading room of the Manuscripts Dept. New policy at Wilson, you can no
                    > longer make your own copies so anything you don't have time to write out
                    or
                    > "laptop" has to be left for the print dept. to copy and mail to you. :-(
                    > However, this policy does not extend to their microfilm section or
                    anything
                    > from the North Carolina Collections Room. See you on the 12th.
                    >
                    > Best Regards,
                    > Teej
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Teej Smith
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
                      Richard Croker wrote:

                      > Excuse me??????
                      >
                      > There was actually a person called Reverence N. Awe?????
                      >
                      > If so, I am in "N Awe" of his parents!

                      LOL...just a wee bit of Tar Heel humor. Most people called him Brig.
                      Gen. J. Johnston Pettigrew who graduated from the University of North
                      Carolina with a perfect 4.0 average, and as Longstreet said in THE MOVIE,
                      "they still speak of your grades with reverence and awe. Actually, Pettigrew
                      and Matt Ransom had identical G.P.A.s the story of how that was resolved is
                      an interesting one, and one which caused a life-long rivalry between Ransom
                      and Pettigrew. Unfortunately,for Pettigrew "life-long" wasn't all that long.

                      Regards,
                      Teej