Re: Richard at Antietam -- book signing

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 19, 2004
      Just a reminder --

      I'm going to be at the "David & Goliath" symposium in Hagerstown on Friday
      evening and at the Antietam NBP Bookstore all day on Saturday signing "To
      Make Men Free."

      I know I'm in the heart of "I don't do fiction" territory here, but I
      promise it's "good fiction" (otherwise I wouldn't have gotten an
      invitation). But regardless of that, I would still love to meet any of you
      who might be in the neighborhood this weekend! PLEASE stop by and say
      Hello.

      Richard Croker
      770-977-2397
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 19, 2004
        Richard,

        I'll drop in and introduce myself to you at ANB as I am sure I will be hard
        to spot:>) otherwise.

        Kevin Rawlings
      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 19, 2004
          Can't wait!!!

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 25, 2004
            Kevin -- where were you on Saturday??????? Sorry I didn't get to meet you.

            It was GRAND. Obviously a dream come true for me to sign the book at the
            battlefield park. My wife came with me -- it was her FIRST trip (my 8th or
            10th). Ted Alexander introduced me to Ed Bearss by telling him that my book
            is "...the 'Killer Angels' of Antietam." That's darned high priase --
            especially coming from Ted.

            Peter Smith came by -- He's Walter Smith's son. Did you know Walter?
            That's a story for another day, but I dedicated my book in part to Walter,
            and it was a very emotional meeting.

            Had dinner with Chris and Densie Yeager. This whole rigmaroll began when
            Chris gave me his copy of "Killer Angels" about 12 years ago. I returned it
            to him this weekend. He's says now he's got to try to remember who HE
            borrowed it from. :-)

            Anyway -- sorry I missed you. Maybe next time.

            Richard Croker
            > I'll drop in and introduce myself to you at ANB as I am sure I will be
            hard
            > to spot:>) otherwise.
            >
            > Kevin Rawlings
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Rawlings, Kevin
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
              Richard,

              I got jammed up Saturday with child care issues. My wife neglected to tell
              me she was not going to be home when she announced Saturday morning she had
              to go to work in Gettysburg. I had a house full of female tweenagers my
              daughter invited over for a gathering. I kept thinking I could slip out for
              a half hour or so but just plain ran out of time. I should have let you know
              where I live in town so you could stop by. Sounds like you had a successful
              weekend which I am glad for you and hope it continues well into the future.

              All the best,
              Kevin
            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
                Oh my God! A house full of teenaged girls????? I'm glad you
                survived!!!!!!!

                > I got jammed up Saturday with child care issues. My wife neglected to tell
                > me she was not going to be home when she announced Saturday morning she
                had
                > to go to work in Gettysburg. I had a house full of female tweenagers my
                > daughter invited over for a gathering. I kept thinking I could slip out
                for
                > a half hour or so but just plain ran out of time. I should have let you
                know
                > where I live in town so you could stop by. Sounds like you had a
                successful
                > weekend which I am glad for you and hope it continues well into the
                future.

                > All the best,
                > Kevin
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Rawlings, Kevin
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
                  My sanity is going to take awhile before it returns to normal if it ever
                  does,...but then again I have been often told I am anything but normal.
                  Normal is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Teenagers, not quite, they
                  were tweenagers (all twelve years old). I am on my way to Tarheelia(NC) in a
                  couple of weeks for some research at Duke and UNC with a friend of mine from
                  NC. Where in Georgia are you from Richard? I will be in Columbus the first
                  Friday and Saturday in December. Maybe we can arrange to get together then.

                  Kevin

                  -
                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
                    I'm in Marietta -- just north of Atlanta and a stone's throw from the
                    Kennesaw Mountain NBP. If you're driving, you'll pass my house (almost).
                    Give me a call!!!!!! Maybe we can meet then.

                    770-977-2397
                    > My sanity is going to take awhile before it returns to normal if it ever
                    > does,...but then again I have been often told I am anything but normal.
                    > Normal is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Teenagers, not quite, they
                    > were tweenagers (all twelve years old). I am on my way to Tarheelia(NC) in
                    > couple of weeks for some research at Duke and UNC with a friend of mine
                    from
                    > NC. Where in Georgia are you from Richard? I will be in Columbus the first
                    > Friday and Saturday in December. Maybe we can arrange to get together
                    then.

                    > Kevin
                    >
                    > -
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Teej Smith
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
                      Kevin Rawlings wrote:

                      <Snip>

                      > I am on my way to Tarheelia(NC) in a
                      > couple of weeks for some research at Duke and UNC with a friend of mine
                      from
                      > NC.

                      Hi Kevin,

                      Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. I was at the Wilson
                      Library about 10 days ago and you'll be happy to know that the portrait of
                      Brig. Gen. Reverence N. Awe has been returned to it's rightful spot in the
                      reading room of the Manuscripts Dept. New policy at Wilson, you can no
                      longer make your own copies so anything you don't have time to write out or
                      "laptop" has to be left for the print dept. to copy and mail to you. :-(
                      However, this policy does not extend to their microfilm section or anything
                      from the North Carolina Collections Room. See you on the 12th.

                      Best Regards,
                      Teej
                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
                        Excuse me??????

                        There was actually a person called Reverence N. Awe?????

                        If so, I am in "N Awe" of his parents!

                        > > couple of weeks for some research at Duke and UNC with a friend of mine
                        > from
                        > > NC.
                        >
                        > Hi Kevin,
                        >
                        > Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. I was at the
                        Wilson
                        > Library about 10 days ago and you'll be happy to know that the portrait of
                        > Brig. Gen. Reverence N. Awe has been returned to it's rightful spot in
                        the
                        > reading room of the Manuscripts Dept. New policy at Wilson, you can no
                        > longer make your own copies so anything you don't have time to write out
                        or
                        > "laptop" has to be left for the print dept. to copy and mail to you. :-(
                        > However, this policy does not extend to their microfilm section or
                        anything
                        > from the North Carolina Collections Room. See you on the 12th.
                        >
                        > Best Regards,
                        > Teej
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Teej Smith
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
                          Richard Croker wrote:

                          > Excuse me??????
                          >
                          > There was actually a person called Reverence N. Awe?????
                          >
                          > If so, I am in "N Awe" of his parents!

                          LOL...just a wee bit of Tar Heel humor. Most people called him Brig.
                          Gen. J. Johnston Pettigrew who graduated from the University of North
                          Carolina with a perfect 4.0 average, and as Longstreet said in THE MOVIE,
                          "they still speak of your grades with reverence and awe. Actually, Pettigrew
                          and Matt Ransom had identical G.P.A.s the story of how that was resolved is
                          an interesting one, and one which caused a life-long rivalry between Ransom
                          and Pettigrew. Unfortunately,for Pettigrew "life-long" wasn't all that long.

                          Regards,
                          Teej