Re: [TalkAntietam]

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2004
      Okay guys -- you're gonna LOVE this!

      I got an email from a woman in NJ who had read my book. She had a story she
      HAD to tell. She says that when she was young she had ONE DATE with George
      McClellan's g-g-grandson. And now I quote: "While this young man may have
      inherited his g-g-grandfather's arrogance, he most definitely did NOT have a
      case of the slows!"

        > Yes, "12M" is how it was transcribed in the OR, as per the footnote
        in
        > the article referred to. We'd all agree that means noon. But
        that's
        > not what the telegram actually says.
        >
        > I have a digital copy of the telegram (original at the L of C) form
        as
        > it was received at the War Department, too, in case the link to the
        > Library of Congress doesn't work for you:
        > http://aotw.org/images/mc_lincoln_telegram.jpg
        >
        > It's pretty clearly "Midnight".
        >
        > It also helps explain why the telegram wasn't officially received at
        > the War Department til 2:35am.
        >
        > Tim, by the way, is the first person I've heard of who's noticed
        this.
        > Apparently no one else has bothered to look at the telegram in
        recent
        > years, I don't know why. Perhaps it was easier to take the OR at
        face
        > value. Heck, we all do that.
        >
        > The article he cited does a pretty fair job of analyzing what this
        > might mean, and is worth a look.
        >
        > Brian
        >

        > Brian.
        >
        > Thanks for the link. You are correct, it does clearly say MIDNIGHT.
        >
        > Another factor in the delay from midnight to 2:35 AM is the time
        difference between Frederick and Washington. This was before the
        railroad
        companies set the standard times so Frederick might have been 30 to 45
        minutes behind Washington time.

        > OG

        [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by AmeriMail]

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---

        [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by AmeriMail]