Re: [TalkAntietam]

  • Ollie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2004
      From: Brian Downey
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 10:55 PM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam]

      Hi Ollie,

      Yes, "12M" is how it was transcribed in the OR, as per the footnote in
      the article referred to. We'd all agree that means noon. But that's
      not what the telegram actually says.

      I have a digital copy of the telegram (original at the L of C) form as
      it was received at the War Department, too, in case the link to the
      Library of Congress doesn't work for you:
      http://aotw.org/images/mc_lincoln_telegram.jpg

      It's pretty clearly "Midnight".

      It also helps explain why the telegram wasn't officially received at
      the War Department til 2:35am.

      Tim, by the way, is the first person I've heard of who's noticed this.
      Apparently no one else has bothered to look at the telegram in recent
      years, I don't know why. Perhaps it was easier to take the OR at face
      value. Heck, we all do that.

      The article he cited does a pretty fair job of analyzing what this
      might mean, and is worth a look.

      Brian

      Brian.

      Thanks for the link. You are correct, it does clearly say MIDNIGHT.

      Another factor in the delay from midnight to 2:35 AM is the time difference between Frederick and Washington. This was before the railroad companies set the standard times so Frederick might have been 30 to 45 minutes behind Washington time.

      OG