Re: [TalkAntietam]

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2004
      Hi Ollie,

      Yes, "12M" is how it was transcribed in the OR, as per the footnote in
      the article referred to. We'd all agree that means noon. But that's
      not what the telegram actually says.

      I have a digital copy of the telegram (original at the L of C) form as
      it was received at the War Department, too, in case the link to the
      Library of Congress doesn't work for you:
      http://aotw.org/images/mc_lincoln_telegram.jpg

      It's pretty clearly "Midnight".

      It also helps explain why the telegram wasn't officially received at
      the War Department til 2:35am.

      Tim, by the way, is the first person I've heard of who's noticed this.
      Apparently no one else has bothered to look at the telegram in recent
      years, I don't know why. Perhaps it was easier to take the OR at face
      value. Heck, we all do that.

      The article he cited does a pretty fair job of analyzing what this
      might mean, and is worth a look.

      Brian

      On 13 Jul 2004 at 22:17, Ollie wrote:

      > Your knowledge of 19th Century time needs some improvement. Here
      is the line from the link you provided:

      > Frederick, September 13, 1862--12 M (Received 2.35 a.m., September
      14.)

      > If you notice it says 12 M. The M does NOT stand for Midnight. It
      means Meridan the same as the M in AM
      > (Anti-Meridan {before Midday}) and the M in PM (Post Meridan {after
      Midday}). > Meridan is to put it simply NOON.

      > OG

      > Thanks for the input. The Lincoln telegram you refer to was not
      sent almost immediately after McClellan received the Lost Order. It
      was in fact sent twelve hours later at midnight. See
      http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/P?mal:7:./temp/~ammem_D8Mf:: for
      digital photo of original document. Also see AotW article at
      http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=358 for corrected 9/13
      scenario. All too often Sears is inexcusably sloppy with his sources,
      this being a salient example.

      > Your knowledge of 19th Century time needs some improvement. Here
      is the line from the link you provided:

      > Frederick, September 13, 1862--12 M (Received 2.35 a.m., September
      14.)

      > If you notice it says 12 M. The M does NOT stand for Midnight. It
      means Meridan the same as the M in AM (Anti-Meridan {before Midday})
      and the M in PM (Post Meridan {after Midday}). Meridan is to put it
      simply NOON.

      > OG

    • Ollie