Re: [TalkAntietam]

  • Tim Reese
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2004
      Hi Mary,

      Thanks for the input. The Lincoln telegram you refer to was not sent almost immediately after McClellan received the Lost Order. It was in fact sent twelve hours later at midnight. See http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/P?mal:7:./temp/~ammem_D8Mf:: for digital photo of original document. Also see AotW article at http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=358 for corrected 9/13 scenario. All too often Sears is inexcusably sloppy with his sources, this being a salient example.

      We know GBM established HQ outside Frederick on the 13th, but where? It is my hope that someone out there knows of an obscure reference citing a specific locale: house, farm or whatever. This established, one can then measure the distance between that and the order's point of discovery at the southeast edge of town. Intriguing, don't you think?

      Tim