Re: Interrogating a witness tree

  • tjrhys62
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
      I think you have a winner. Next time I'm over there (15 minutes
      away) I'll take a closer look.

      Tim

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Morris"
      <ironbrigade@k...> wrote:
      > Here's a better and closer picture of the tree. This is a section
      cut out of
      > one of the pictures I took of the bridge (I take high resolution
      pictures
      > and then resize them down later) in April.
      > http://www.kswader.com/judi/civilwar/witnesstree.jpg
      >
      > As you can see, the tree looks much older than it does in any of
      the other
      > pictures. I'm tending to think this one could very well be a
      witness tree
      > now that I'm looking at these pictures I took with the tree in
      them.

      > Brian
      >

      > > Hi Brian,
      > >
      > > Looks like the Burnside's Bridge sycamore may very well be a
      witness
      > > tree, judging by specs found at
      > > http://www.2020site.org/trees/sycamore.html Have a look.
      > >
      > > However, documenting such things seems impossible aside from
      locale.
      > > The tree depicted in the postwar (Forbes?) engraving, compared to
      > > current size and breadth, strongly suggests a logical growth
      > > progession.
      > >
      > > Suffice it to say that odds are more in favor of it being the
      real
      > > thing. If it could only talk... despite recent injury.
      > >
      > > Tim
      > >
      > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Morris"
      > > <ironbrigade@k...> wrote:
      > > > Found this website recently that purports to show witness
      trees to
      > > certain
      > > > Civil War battles. Some I know are correct such as the
      Baltimore
      > > St.
      > > > Sycamores and Locust tree in the Cemetery in Gettysburg but the
      > > website also
      > > > makes claims about the White Oaks at the Copse of Trees which I
      > > know are not
      > > > old enough to be witness trees.
      > > > http://www.bivouacbooks.com/bbv2i1s4.htm
      > > >
      > > > For the Antietam Battlefirld they show a picture of the
      Sycamore
      > > that sits
      > > > alongside the Burnside Bridge and then show a picture taken
      > > shortly after
      > > > the battle that shows a tree in that same area. OK, I'm not a
      big
      > > tree
      > > > expert here but I've stood next to that tree by the Burnside
      > > Bridge and it
      > > > does not strike me as a 140+ year old tree. Just because there
      was
      > > a tree in
      > > > that general location in 1862 doesn't make the one there in
      2004
      > > the very
      > > > same tree.
      > > >
      > > > Is that tree next to the bridge a witness tree or do we have
      > > someone jumping
      > > > to conclusions here based off of two trees being in a similar
      area
      > > 140 years
      > > > apart?
      > > >
      > > > Brian
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
        Tim and Brian,

        It is a witness tree as it has been in (a tree witness protection program,
        haha, could not resist)a historic tree program (I can't recall the proper
        name right off the bat, but I was working for the Civil War Trust at the
        time.)that they have made seedlings from. Some years back I was involved in
        a promotional picture with Tom Clemens and Tom Lively as Union and
        Confederate soldiers planting a new "cloned" tree for this historical tree
        prgram that also featured treelings from other historic sites, civil war and
        earlier eras. I have a flier from that program buried in my files somewhere.

        Kevin Rawlings

        <ironbrigade@k...> wrote:
> [...]
        Sycamore
        > > that sits
        > > > alongside the Burnside Bridge and then show a picture taken
        > > shortly after
        > > > the battle that shows a tree in that same area. OK, I'm not a
        big
        > > tree
        > > > expert here but I've stood next to that tree by the Burnside
        > > Bridge and it
        > > > does not strike me as a 140+ year old tree. Just because there
        was
        > > a tree in
        > > > that general location in 1862 doesn't make the one there in
        2004
        > > the very
        > > > same tree.
        > > >
        > > > Is that tree next to the bridge a witness tree or do we have
        > > someone jumping
        > > > to conclusions here based off of two trees being in a similar

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • James Madison
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
          Thanks for the information guys. I'll be there next week somtime and
          be sure to give that tree a little more attention. Outside of the
          general topography of the of the battle grounds are their any other
          significent natural features that remain?
        • robert blama
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
            That is the same tree A tree 140 yrs old does not have to be that big
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • richard@rcroker.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
              Speaking of witness trees -- I live close the the Kennesaw Mountain National
              Battlefield Park where they tell you to look high in the trees and you can
              see odd branching -- where it has split into four or five limbs where you
              might only expect to see two. They say that the deformity is a result of
              being struck by cannon fire at a very young age.

              Richard Croker