Re: Who's posting here?

  • Anthony W. Turner
    Message 1 of 14 , May 28, 2001
      Scotty90900 wrote:
      <<I give you the trash of a SICK Person>>

      You've been doing that for quite a while here and on at least one other
      group, Scotty90900. Stop trying to attribute your level of trash and
      insult to others.

      Brian Downey wrote:
      <<please try to stay on track - Antietam - okay?>>

      Brian, I respectfully ask that you please take a hard line on off-topic
      posts and/or posters with not-so-subtle intent to recruit your
      subscribers to another DG.

      Tony Turner

      PS - Brian, I realize that once you have read this, you may want to yank
      it as off-topic, too. I did try to reach you direct with the last
      paragraph above, but got an "address unknown" bounceback. -T
      Message 2 of 14 , May 28, 2001
        As to why the Talk Antietam group has been quiet lately, perhaps
        it might be due to a lot of things happening in the lives of many
        of the members of this Forum. I have a question which would
        perhaps help stimulate some discussion.

        I have been reading the book by Charles Marshall of Lee's staff
        (available at Antietam VC bookstore) in which he states that had
        elements of the ANV acted properly and at the desired time, John
        Pope's Army of Virginia might have been so soundly defeated that
        the Maryland campaign might not have been necessary.

        Do any other members of the group have this book and, if so, what
        are their serious (not ranting) comments?

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        Message 3 of 14 , May 28, 2001
          In a message dated 5/28/01 10:59:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          gerry1952@... writes:

          I have been reading the book by Charles Marshall of Lee's staff
          (available at Antietam VC bookstore) in which he states that had
          elements of the ANV acted properly and at the desired time, John
          Pope's Army of Virginia might have been so soundly defeated that
          the Maryland campaign might not have been necessary.

          By this I assume you are referring to Marshall's charge that the delay of
          Fitzhugh Lee allowed Pope to get out of his scrape between the Rapidan and
          Rappahanock Rivers.  Again, the blame falls on the shoulders of Fitzhugh Lee
          and Stuart.  In subsequent years, this blame was shifted to the shoulders of
          (you guessed it) James Longstreet.

          Anyway, in answer to your query, yes, the ANV missed out on a golden
          opportunity.

          Harry
        • Brian Downey
          Message 4 of 14 , May 29, 2001

            and, in part, Harry said:

            > Anyway, in answer to your query, yes, the ANV missed out on a
            > golden opportunity.

            [I don't usually like "what-if" scenarios, but I think this one may
            be illustrative of the basic drive behind Lee's invasion plans.]

            Ah, golden oppty, yes, but short of complete Federal surrender as
            Pope is destroyed, I think the Maryland Campaign was inevitable. That
            is, even if Pope is completely supressed, the Union still exists and
            fights on.

            Even if the greater part of Pope's army were captured or casualties,
            the remaining forces defending Washington, the next obvious Confed
            objective, are still sufficient to at least require a seige-like
            campaign.

            Lee's correspondence suggests he's not going to be able to wage such
            a fight, nor (I'm assuming) is he anxious to quarter his troops in N
            Va and wait for the enemy to make a move. Between the loss of
            initiative and the lack of supplies and forage, I think he's still
            out of good options, even with Pope and most of the AoP gone.

            Brian
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2001
              Brian--

              You state pretty much what Joe Harsh and Charles Marshall both
              comment on regarding Lee's options right around the time of
              Second Manassas.

              BTW, what are your feelings about the entire manner in which
              Stuart handled his duties as screening the ANV from the AoP and
              keeping Lee informed of all AoP movements?

              IIRC, Harsh seems to be rather critical of Stuart's performance
              during the First Maryland Campaign....

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

              Edward Lee

              > >> ... John Pope's Army of Virginia might have been so soundly
              > >> defeated that the Maryland campaign might not have been
              necessary.

              > and, in part, Harry said:
              >
              > > Anyway, in answer to your query, yes, the ANV missed out on a
              > > golden opportunity.
              >
              > [I don't usually like "what-if" scenarios, but I think this one
              may
              > be illustrative of the basic drive behind Lee's invasion
              plans.]

              > Ah, golden oppty, yes, but short of complete Federal surrender
              as
              > Pope is destroyed, I think the Maryland Campaign was
              inevitable. That
              > is, even if Pope is completely supressed, the Union still
              exists and
              > fights on.
              >
              > Even if the greater part of Pope's army were captured or
              casualties,
              > the remaining forces defending Washington, the next obvious
              Confed
              > objective, are still sufficient to at least require a
              seige-like
              > campaign.
              >
              > Lee's correspondence suggests he's not going to be able to wage
              such
              > a fight, nor (I'm assuming) is he anxious to quarter his troops
              in N
              > Va and wait for the enemy to make a move. Between the loss of
              > initiative and the lack of supplies and forage, I think he's
              still
              > out of good options, even with Pope and most of the AoP gone.
              >
              > Brian
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Service.