Re: Interrogating a witness tree

  • tjrhys62
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
      Hi Brian,

      Looks like the Burnside's Bridge sycamore may very well be a witness
      tree, judging by specs found at
      http://www.2020site.org/trees/sycamore.html Have a look.

      However, documenting such things seems impossible aside from locale.
      The tree depicted in the postwar (Forbes?) engraving, compared to
      current size and breadth, strongly suggests a logical growth
      progession.

      Suffice it to say that odds are more in favor of it being the real
      thing. If it could only talk... despite recent injury.

      Tim

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Morris"
      <ironbrigade@k...> wrote:
      > Found this website recently that purports to show witness trees to
      certain
      > Civil War battles. Some I know are correct such as the Baltimore
      St.
      > Sycamores and Locust tree in the Cemetery in Gettysburg but the
      website also
      > makes claims about the White Oaks at the Copse of Trees which I
      know are not
      > old enough to be witness trees.
      > http://www.bivouacbooks.com/bbv2i1s4.htm
      >
      > For the Antietam Battlefirld they show a picture of the Sycamore
      that sits
      > alongside the Burnside Bridge and then show a picture taken
      shortly after
      > the battle that shows a tree in that same area. OK, I'm not a big
      tree
      > expert here but I've stood next to that tree by the Burnside
      Bridge and it
      > does not strike me as a 140+ year old tree. Just because there was
      a tree in
      > that general location in 1862 doesn't make the one there in 2004
      the very
      > same tree.
      >
      > Is that tree next to the bridge a witness tree or do we have
      someone jumping
      > to conclusions here based off of two trees being in a similar area
      140 years
      > apart?
      >
      > Brian
    • Brian Morris
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
        Here's a better and closer picture of the tree. This is a section cut out of
        one of the pictures I took of the bridge (I take high resolution pictures
        and then resize them down later) in April.
        http://www.kswader.com/judi/civilwar/witnesstree.jpg

        As you can see, the tree looks much older than it does in any of the other
        pictures. I'm tending to think this one could very well be a witness tree
        now that I'm looking at these pictures I took with the tree in them.

        Brian

      • tjrhys62
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
          I think you have a winner. Next time I'm over there (15 minutes
          away) I'll take a closer look.

          <ironbrigade@k...> wrote:
> [...]
          Sycamore
          > > that sits
          > > > alongside the Burnside Bridge and then show a picture taken
          > > shortly after
          > > > the battle that shows a tree in that same area. OK, I'm not a
          big
          > > tree
          > > > expert here but I've stood next to that tree by the Burnside
          > > Bridge and it
          > > > does not strike me as a 140+ year old tree. Just because there
          was
          > > a tree in
          > > > that general location in 1862 doesn't make the one there in
          2004
          > > the very
          > > > same tree.
          > > >
          > > > Is that tree next to the bridge a witness tree or do we have
          > > someone jumping
          > > > to conclusions here based off of two trees being in a similar

        • Rawlings, Kevin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
            Tim and Brian,

            It is a witness tree as it has been in (a tree witness protection program,
            haha, could not resist)a historic tree program (I can't recall the proper
            name right off the bat, but I was working for the Civil War Trust at the
            time.)that they have made seedlings from. Some years back I was involved in
            a promotional picture with Tom Clemens and Tom Lively as Union and
            Confederate soldiers planting a new "cloned" tree for this historical tree
            prgram that also featured treelings from other historic sites, civil war and
            earlier eras. I have a flier from that program buried in my files somewhere.

            Kevin Rawlings

            <ironbrigade@k...> wrote:
> [...]
            Sycamore
            > > that sits
            > > > alongside the Burnside Bridge and then show a picture taken
            > > shortly after
            > > > the battle that shows a tree in that same area. OK, I'm not a
            big
            > > tree
            > > > expert here but I've stood next to that tree by the Burnside
            > > Bridge and it
            > > > does not strike me as a 140+ year old tree. Just because there
            was
            > > a tree in
            > > > that general location in 1862 doesn't make the one there in
            2004
            > > the very
            > > > same tree.
            > > >
            > > > Is that tree next to the bridge a witness tree or do we have
            > > someone jumping
            > > > to conclusions here based off of two trees being in a similar

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • James Madison
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
              Thanks for the information guys. I'll be there next week somtime and
              be sure to give that tree a little more attention. Outside of the
              general topography of the of the battle grounds are their any other
              significent natural features that remain?
            • robert blama
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
                That is the same tree A tree 140 yrs old does not have to be that big
[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • richard@rcroker.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
                  Speaking of witness trees -- I live close the the Kennesaw Mountain National
                  Battlefield Park where they tell you to look high in the trees and you can
                  see odd branching -- where it has split into four or five limbs where you
                  might only expect to see two. They say that the deformity is a result of
                  being struck by cannon fire at a very young age.

                  Richard Croker