Re: [TalkAntietam] About 3 weeks ...

  • T.R. Livesey
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
      How much the slope on the Union side has changed is open to debate.
      However, it has been reworked. There used to be a parking lot on the
      east side of the creek right on the bridge's south side, and the bank
      filled in somewhat to even the ground out. Improvements were also made
      to deal with the flooding problem. I have a copy of photos (probably
      from the 1930s) of the creek being dredged at this point. The little dam
      like obstruction about 100 yards downstream from the bridge also affects
      the water level (it's designed to stabilize the water flow for the
      measuring station that is there).

      As I look at the period photos, I think the bank on the Union side seems
      more steep today, but not necessary what I would call "NOT any wheres as
      steep".

      TR Livesey
      tlivesey@...

    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
        Richard,

        Enjoyed talking to you the other night and look forward to possibly seeing
        you when you come to Sharpsburg in a couple of weeks. If I can provide you
        with any other observations of what you asked, don't hesitate to call or
        e-mail.

        Kevin Rawlings