Re: [TalkAntietam] About 3 weeks ...

  • robert blama
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
      I think the slope at Burnside Bridge was like now. The floodplain is on both sides of the cliff and on the Union side of the stream.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
        How much the slope on the Union side has changed is open to debate.
        However, it has been reworked. There used to be a parking lot on the
        east side of the creek right on the bridge's south side, and the bank
        filled in somewhat to even the ground out. Improvements were also made
        to deal with the flooding problem. I have a copy of photos (probably
        from the 1930s) of the creek being dredged at this point. The little dam
        like obstruction about 100 yards downstream from the bridge also affects
        the water level (it's designed to stabilize the water flow for the
        measuring station that is there).

        As I look at the period photos, I think the bank on the Union side seems
        more steep today, but not necessary what I would call "NOT any wheres as
        steep".

        TR Livesey
        tlivesey@...

      • Rawlings, Kevin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
          Richard,

          Enjoyed talking to you the other night and look forward to possibly seeing
          you when you come to Sharpsburg in a couple of weeks. If I can provide you
          with any other observations of what you asked, don't hesitate to call or
          e-mail.

          Kevin Rawlings