Re: [TalkAntietam] About 3 weeks ...

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
      Dear Richard,

      If you have a small group planning to make a visit, you can make
      arrangements with the rangers there as well. Keith Snyder and
      Brian Barancz are very knowledgeable types who are more than
      happy to help.

      I remain,
      Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
      G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
      Corporal,
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
      else we shall grow too fond of it."
      --Robert E. Lee

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
        I think the slope at Burnside Bridge was like now. The floodplain is on both sides of the cliff and on the Union side of the stream.

        > Just hope those darned pesky little bugs aren't flitting around
        the bridge.
        > They pestered me so much I wrote 'em into my book.
        >
        > A piece of advice -- the visitor center has a list of private
        tour guides
        > who know all the facts and all the secret little places you can
        go. It's
        > worth the 25 bucks. The guy who gave me mine (two spectacular
        days) has
        > since past away, but I'm sure there are others.
        >
        > Richard Croker

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • T.R. Livesey
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
          How much the slope on the Union side has changed is open to debate.
          However, it has been reworked. There used to be a parking lot on the
          east side of the creek right on the bridge's south side, and the bank
          filled in somewhat to even the ground out. Improvements were also made
          to deal with the flooding problem. I have a copy of photos (probably
          from the 1930s) of the creek being dredged at this point. The little dam
          like obstruction about 100 yards downstream from the bridge also affects
          the water level (it's designed to stabilize the water flow for the
          measuring station that is there).

          As I look at the period photos, I think the bank on the Union side seems
          more steep today, but not necessary what I would call "NOT any wheres as
          steep".

          TR Livesey
          tlivesey@...

        • Rawlings, Kevin
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
            Richard,

            Enjoyed talking to you the other night and look forward to possibly seeing
            you when you come to Sharpsburg in a couple of weeks. If I can provide you
            with any other observations of what you asked, don't hesitate to call or
            e-mail.

            Kevin Rawlings