Re: [TalkAntietam] About 3 weeks ...

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
      Dear Brian and James,

      The other thing you want to remember is the Antietam Creek at the
      Bridge does NOT look as if did in 1862! The banks originally were
      NOT any wheres as steep looking as they are now. the banks of the
      creek originally were a very gently sloping grade which also
      meant the creek often overflowed when there was heavy rain.

      I remain,
      Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
      G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
      Corporal,
      Confederate Signal Corps,
      Longstreet's Corps

      "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
      else we shall grow too fond of it."
      --Robert E. Lee

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
        Dear Richard,

        If you have a small group planning to make a visit, you can make
        arrangements with the rangers there as well. Keith Snyder and
        Brian Barancz are very knowledgeable types who are more than
        happy to help.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • T.R. Livesey
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
            How much the slope on the Union side has changed is open to debate.
            However, it has been reworked. There used to be a parking lot on the
            east side of the creek right on the bridge's south side, and the bank
            filled in somewhat to even the ground out. Improvements were also made
            to deal with the flooding problem. I have a copy of photos (probably
            from the 1930s) of the creek being dredged at this point. The little dam
            like obstruction about 100 yards downstream from the bridge also affects
            the water level (it's designed to stabilize the water flow for the
            measuring station that is there).

            As I look at the period photos, I think the bank on the Union side seems
            more steep today, but not necessary what I would call "NOT any wheres as
            steep".

            TR Livesey
            tlivesey@...

          • Rawlings, Kevin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
              Richard,

              Enjoyed talking to you the other night and look forward to possibly seeing
              you when you come to Sharpsburg in a couple of weeks. If I can provide you
              with any other observations of what you asked, don't hesitate to call or
              e-mail.

              Kevin Rawlings