Re: [TalkAntietam] About 3 weeks ...

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
      Just hope those darned pesky little bugs aren't flitting around the bridge.
      They pestered me so much I wrote 'em into my book.

      A piece of advice -- the visitor center has a list of private tour guides
      who know all the facts and all the secret little places you can go. It's
      worth the 25 bucks. The guy who gave me mine (two spectacular days) has
      since past away, but I'm sure there are others.

      Richard Croker

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
        Dear Brian and James,

        The other thing you want to remember is the Antietam Creek at the
        Bridge does NOT look as if did in 1862! The banks originally were
        NOT any wheres as steep looking as they are now. the banks of the
        creek originally were a very gently sloping grade which also
        meant the creek often overflowed when there was heavy rain.

        I remain,
        Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
        G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
        Corporal,
        Confederate Signal Corps,
        Longstreet's Corps

        "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
        else we shall grow too fond of it."
        --Robert E. Lee

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
          Dear Richard,

          If you have a small group planning to make a visit, you can make
          arrangements with the rangers there as well. Keith Snyder and
          Brian Barancz are very knowledgeable types who are more than
          happy to help.

          I remain,
          Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
          G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
          Corporal,
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
          else we shall grow too fond of it."
          --Robert E. Lee

          > Just hope those darned pesky little bugs aren't flitting around
          the bridge.
          > They pestered me so much I wrote 'em into my book.
          >
          > A piece of advice -- the visitor center has a list of private
          tour guides
          > who know all the facts and all the secret little places you can
          go. It's
          > worth the 25 bucks. The guy who gave me mine (two spectacular
          days) has
          > since past away, but I'm sure there are others.
          >
          > Richard Croker

        • robert blama

            > Just hope those darned pesky little bugs aren't flitting around
            the bridge.
            > They pestered me so much I wrote 'em into my book.
            >
            > A piece of advice -- the visitor center has a list of private
            tour guides
            > who know all the facts and all the secret little places you can
            go. It's
            > worth the 25 bucks. The guy who gave me mine (two spectacular
            days) has
            > since past away, but I'm sure there are others.
            >
            > Richard Croker

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • T.R. Livesey
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
              How much the slope on the Union side has changed is open to debate.
              However, it has been reworked. There used to be a parking lot on the
              east side of the creek right on the bridge's south side, and the bank
              filled in somewhat to even the ground out. Improvements were also made
              to deal with the flooding problem. I have a copy of photos (probably
              from the 1930s) of the creek being dredged at this point. The little dam
              like obstruction about 100 yards downstream from the bridge also affects
              the water level (it's designed to stabilize the water flow for the
              measuring station that is there).

              As I look at the period photos, I think the bank on the Union side seems
              more steep today, but not necessary what I would call "NOT any wheres as
              steep".

              TR Livesey
              tlivesey@...

            • Rawlings, Kevin
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
                Richard,

                Enjoyed talking to you the other night and look forward to possibly seeing
                you when you come to Sharpsburg in a couple of weeks. If I can provide you
                with any other observations of what you asked, don't hesitate to call or
                e-mail.

                Kevin Rawlings