Re: [TalkAntietam] About 3 weeks ...

  • Brian Morris
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
      I was actually amazed at how different the terrain around the Burnside
      Bridge was when I saw it for the first time than from how I envisioned it
      beforehand. Pictures don't show you how truly a nice defensive position that
      was for the Confederates.

      Brian

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
        Just hope those darned pesky little bugs aren't flitting around the bridge.
        They pestered me so much I wrote 'em into my book.

        A piece of advice -- the visitor center has a list of private tour guides
        who know all the facts and all the secret little places you can go. It's
        worth the 25 bucks. The guy who gave me mine (two spectacular days) has
        since past away, but I'm sure there are others.

        Richard Croker

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
          Dear Brian and James,

          The other thing you want to remember is the Antietam Creek at the
          Bridge does NOT look as if did in 1862! The banks originally were
          NOT any wheres as steep looking as they are now. the banks of the
          creek originally were a very gently sloping grade which also
          meant the creek often overflowed when there was heavy rain.

          I remain,
          Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
          G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
          Corporal,
          Confederate Signal Corps,
          Longstreet's Corps

          "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
          else we shall grow too fond of it."
          --Robert E. Lee

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
            Dear Richard,

            If you have a small group planning to make a visit, you can make
            arrangements with the rangers there as well. Keith Snyder and
            Brian Barancz are very knowledgeable types who are more than
            happy to help.

            I remain,
            Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
            G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
            Corporal,
            Confederate Signal Corps,
            Longstreet's Corps

            "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
            else we shall grow too fond of it."
            --Robert E. Lee

            > Just hope those darned pesky little bugs aren't flitting around
            the bridge.
            > They pestered me so much I wrote 'em into my book.
            >
            > A piece of advice -- the visitor center has a list of private
            tour guides
            > who know all the facts and all the secret little places you can
            go. It's
            > worth the 25 bucks. The guy who gave me mine (two spectacular
            days) has
            > since past away, but I'm sure there are others.
            >
            > Richard Croker

          • robert blama

              > Just hope those darned pesky little bugs aren't flitting around
              the bridge.
              > They pestered me so much I wrote 'em into my book.
              >
              > A piece of advice -- the visitor center has a list of private
              tour guides
              > who know all the facts and all the secret little places you can
              go. It's
              > worth the 25 bucks. The guy who gave me mine (two spectacular
              days) has
              > since past away, but I'm sure there are others.
              >
              > Richard Croker

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • T.R. Livesey
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
                How much the slope on the Union side has changed is open to debate.
                However, it has been reworked. There used to be a parking lot on the
                east side of the creek right on the bridge's south side, and the bank
                filled in somewhat to even the ground out. Improvements were also made
                to deal with the flooding problem. I have a copy of photos (probably
                from the 1930s) of the creek being dredged at this point. The little dam
                like obstruction about 100 yards downstream from the bridge also affects
                the water level (it's designed to stabilize the water flow for the
                measuring station that is there).

                As I look at the period photos, I think the bank on the Union side seems
                more steep today, but not necessary what I would call "NOT any wheres as
                steep".

                TR Livesey
                tlivesey@...

              • Rawlings, Kevin
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
                  Richard,

                  Enjoyed talking to you the other night and look forward to possibly seeing
                  you when you come to Sharpsburg in a couple of weeks. If I can provide you
                  with any other observations of what you asked, don't hesitate to call or
                  e-mail.

                  Kevin Rawlings