About 3 weeks ...

  • James2044
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
      I should be walking the barrle field in less than 3 weeks. I had
      about 3 hours a few years ago and I'm looking forward to a full
      day. I want to grt into the Sunken Road and Burnside's Bridge w/o
      rain.

      James2044
    • Brian Morris
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
        I was actually amazed at how different the terrain around the Burnside
        Bridge was when I saw it for the first time than from how I envisioned it
        beforehand. Pictures don't show you how truly a nice defensive position that
        was for the Confederates.

        Brian

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2004
          Just hope those darned pesky little bugs aren't flitting around the bridge.
          They pestered me so much I wrote 'em into my book.

          A piece of advice -- the visitor center has a list of private tour guides
          who know all the facts and all the secret little places you can go. It's
          worth the 25 bucks. The guy who gave me mine (two spectacular days) has
          since past away, but I'm sure there are others.

          Richard Croker

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2004
            Dear Brian and James,

            The other thing you want to remember is the Antietam Creek at the
            Bridge does NOT look as if did in 1862! The banks originally were
            NOT any wheres as steep looking as they are now. the banks of the
            creek originally were a very gently sloping grade which also
            meant the creek often overflowed when there was heavy rain.

            I remain,
            Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
            G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
            Corporal,
            Confederate Signal Corps,
            Longstreet's Corps

            "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
            else we shall grow too fond of it."
            --Robert E. Lee

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
              Dear Richard,

              If you have a small group planning to make a visit, you can make
              arrangements with the rangers there as well. Keith Snyder and
              Brian Barancz are very knowledgeable types who are more than
              happy to help.

              I remain,
              Your Humble and Obdt. Servant,
              G. E. "Gerry" Mayers
              Corporal,
              Confederate Signal Corps,
              Longstreet's Corps

              "It is Well that WAR is so Terrible;
              else we shall grow too fond of it."
              --Robert E. Lee

              > Just hope those darned pesky little bugs aren't flitting around
              the bridge.
              > They pestered me so much I wrote 'em into my book.
              >
              > A piece of advice -- the visitor center has a list of private
              tour guides
              > who know all the facts and all the secret little places you can
              go. It's
              > worth the 25 bucks. The guy who gave me mine (two spectacular
              days) has
              > since past away, but I'm sure there are others.
              >
              > Richard Croker

            • robert blama

                > Just hope those darned pesky little bugs aren't flitting around
                the bridge.
                > They pestered me so much I wrote 'em into my book.
                >
                > A piece of advice -- the visitor center has a list of private
                tour guides
                > who know all the facts and all the secret little places you can
                go. It's
                > worth the 25 bucks. The guy who gave me mine (two spectacular
                days) has
                > since past away, but I'm sure there are others.
                >
                > Richard Croker

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • T.R. Livesey
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 7, 2004
                  How much the slope on the Union side has changed is open to debate.
                  However, it has been reworked. There used to be a parking lot on the
                  east side of the creek right on the bridge's south side, and the bank
                  filled in somewhat to even the ground out. Improvements were also made
                  to deal with the flooding problem. I have a copy of photos (probably
                  from the 1930s) of the creek being dredged at this point. The little dam
                  like obstruction about 100 yards downstream from the bridge also affects
                  the water level (it's designed to stabilize the water flow for the
                  measuring station that is there).

                  As I look at the period photos, I think the bank on the Union side seems
                  more steep today, but not necessary what I would call "NOT any wheres as
                  steep".

                  TR Livesey
                  tlivesey@...

                • Rawlings, Kevin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 8, 2004
                    Richard,

                    Enjoyed talking to you the other night and look forward to possibly seeing
                    you when you come to Sharpsburg in a couple of weeks. If I can provide you
                    with any other observations of what you asked, don't hesitate to call or
                    e-mail.

                    Kevin Rawlings