Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Who's posting here?

  • Bud Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 14 , May 28, 2001
      No......the best I can do is just hit the delete key every time
      I see a post from Scotty90900@.... You sir, are a goof ball!

      At 11:03 AM 5/28/01 EDT, you wrote:
      >In a message dated 5/28/01 4:31:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time, gwilk@...
      >writes:
      >
      ><< Then why don't you just leave?! Unsubscribe....that shouldn't
      > be a difficult task. >>
      >

      >Is that the best you can do?
      >Since you have been on this group you have posted a "Me Too" reply to
      Turners
      >attempt to paint ME as a racist and this telling me to leave.

    • Anthony W. Turner
      Message 2 of 14 , May 28, 2001
        Scotty90900 wrote:
        <<I give you the trash of a SICK Person>>

        You've been doing that for quite a while here and on at least one other
        group, Scotty90900. Stop trying to attribute your level of trash and
        insult to others.

        Brian Downey wrote:
        <<please try to stay on track - Antietam - okay?>>

        Brian, I respectfully ask that you please take a hard line on off-topic
        posts and/or posters with not-so-subtle intent to recruit your
        subscribers to another DG.

        Tony Turner

        PS - Brian, I realize that once you have read this, you may want to yank
        it as off-topic, too. I did try to reach you direct with the last
        paragraph above, but got an "address unknown" bounceback. -T
        Message 3 of 14 , May 28, 2001
          As to why the Talk Antietam group has been quiet lately, perhaps
          it might be due to a lot of things happening in the lives of many
          of the members of this Forum. I have a question which would
          perhaps help stimulate some discussion.

          I have been reading the book by Charles Marshall of Lee's staff
          (available at Antietam VC bookstore) in which he states that had
          elements of the ANV acted properly and at the desired time, John
          Pope's Army of Virginia might have been so soundly defeated that
          the Maryland campaign might not have been necessary.

          Do any other members of the group have this book and, if so, what
          are their serious (not ranting) comments?

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

          Message 4 of 14 , May 28, 2001
            In a message dated 5/28/01 10:59:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            gerry1952@... writes:

            I have been reading the book by Charles Marshall of Lee's staff
            (available at Antietam VC bookstore) in which he states that had
            elements of the ANV acted properly and at the desired time, John
            Pope's Army of Virginia might have been so soundly defeated that
            the Maryland campaign might not have been necessary.

            By this I assume you are referring to Marshall's charge that the delay of
            Fitzhugh Lee allowed Pope to get out of his scrape between the Rapidan and
            Rappahanock Rivers.  Again, the blame falls on the shoulders of Fitzhugh Lee
            and Stuart.  In subsequent years, this blame was shifted to the shoulders of
            (you guessed it) James Longstreet.

            Anyway, in answer to your query, yes, the ANV missed out on a golden
            opportunity.

            Harry
          • Brian Downey
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2001

              and, in part, Harry said:

              > Anyway, in answer to your query, yes, the ANV missed out on a
              > golden opportunity.

              [I don't usually like "what-if" scenarios, but I think this one may
              be illustrative of the basic drive behind Lee's invasion plans.]

              Ah, golden oppty, yes, but short of complete Federal surrender as
              Pope is destroyed, I think the Maryland Campaign was inevitable. That
              is, even if Pope is completely supressed, the Union still exists and
              fights on.

              Even if the greater part of Pope's army were captured or casualties,
              the remaining forces defending Washington, the next obvious Confed
              objective, are still sufficient to at least require a seige-like
              campaign.

              Lee's correspondence suggests he's not going to be able to wage such
              a fight, nor (I'm assuming) is he anxious to quarter his troops in N
              Va and wait for the enemy to make a move. Between the loss of
              initiative and the lack of supplies and forage, I think he's still
              out of good options, even with Pope and most of the AoP gone.

              Brian
              Message 6 of 14 , May 29, 2001
                Brian--

                You state pretty much what Joe Harsh and Charles Marshall both
                comment on regarding Lee's options right around the time of
                Second Manassas.

                BTW, what are your feelings about the entire manner in which
                Stuart handled his duties as screening the ANV from the AoP and
                keeping Lee informed of all AoP movements?

                IIRC, Harsh seems to be rather critical of Stuart's performance
                during the First Maryland Campaign....

                Your humble servant,
                Gerry Mayers
                Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                Edward Lee

                > >> ... John Pope's Army of Virginia might have been so soundly
                > >> defeated that the Maryland campaign might not have been
                necessary.

                > and, in part, Harry said:
                >
                > > Anyway, in answer to your query, yes, the ANV missed out on a
                > > golden opportunity.
                >
                > [I don't usually like "what-if" scenarios, but I think this one
                may
                > be illustrative of the basic drive behind Lee's invasion
                plans.]

                > Ah, golden oppty, yes, but short of complete Federal surrender
                as
                > Pope is destroyed, I think the Maryland Campaign was
                inevitable. That
                > is, even if Pope is completely supressed, the Union still
                exists and
                > fights on.
                >
                > Even if the greater part of Pope's army were captured or
                casualties,
                > the remaining forces defending Washington, the next obvious
                Confed
                > objective, are still sufficient to at least require a
                seige-like
                > campaign.
                >
                > Lee's correspondence suggests he's not going to be able to wage
                such
                > a fight, nor (I'm assuming) is he anxious to quarter his troops
                in N
                > Va and wait for the enemy to make a move. Between the loss of
                > initiative and the lack of supplies and forage, I think he's
                still
                > out of good options, even with Pope and most of the AoP gone.
                >
                > Brian
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Service.