Re: Gathland - correction

  • tjrhys62
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2004
      Forgot to mention that if you're really into ACW journalists, at
      least those cited on the WC Arch, there's a 50-page booklet of bios
      for each available through the Friends of the park at
      http://www.fsmsb.org/books.html. $5.00 plus shipping. Guess who
      wrote it?

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, 128thpa@c... wrote:
      > Ooops - that is Correspondents Memorial Arch. I know they didn't
      build a monument to the correspondence of the war - but sometimes I
      think they should. The letters home are often what gets me
      interested in a subject!

    • 128thpa@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2004
        Thanks Tim, whatever you would like to send, and whenever is fine with me. I
        have an 1870 edition of his book, "Lost Abroad".

        I am interested in that booklet, but I couldn't get the web site to work.

        I have been interested in Townsend because of the Laurel Hill connection. But now I have another interest, my son will be graduating from college with a major in journalism. He has a job as a reporter. When he was 14 we visited the arch, I wonder if that had any impact on him? <g>

        Paula
      • tjrhys62
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2004
          Paula,

          Last night I dug around the hard drive and was unable to find the
          article text mentioned. I apparently deleted it after publication.
          I'll make a photocopy and forward it to whichever address you
          prefer.

          It seems easier for me to just go get you a copy of "Names in Stone"
          at the park and send it also. The two-minute drive won't kill me.
          I'll see what else I have knocking about here that might be of use.
          Sounds like your search engine is a bit touchy.

          You are probably aware of the vanadalism at Laurel Hill Cemetery
          some years back. Numerous stones were overturned or broken.
          Townsend's was hit pretty hard, but subsequently repaired. No rest
          for the wicked. There's a popular local myth that he once occupied
          the Gapland Mausoleum, now in need of repair. Gath intended its four
          vaults for himself, his wife Bessie, and his parents. All ended up
          in Laurel Hill, Philly. The mausoleum went unoccupied.

          Your journalism-major son may very well have been impacted by the
          Arch. Seems to do that to everyone one way or the other. It's kind
          of a white elephant, oddly conceived and oddly placed.
          Architecturally people either love it or hate it, no middle ground.
          If your son is working at the Inquirer have him touch base with Ed
          Colimore, a good friend of mine.

          Let me know where to send this stuff and I'll get on it.

          Tim

        • 128thpa@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2004
            Thanks Tim for all your offers. I will email you privately so as to not tie up the list. I haven't had much time to look at my mail, so I will get back to you tomorrow.

            Thanks,

            Paula