Gathland - correction

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2004
      Ooops - that is Correspondents Memorial Arch. I know they didn't build a monument to the correspondence of the war - but sometimes I think they should. The letters home are often what gets me interested in a subject!

      Paula
    • tjrhys62
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2004
        Paula,

        Actually it's an Arch, a monument and memorial all rolled into one
        as Gath intended, sort of mixed metaphor. No shrinkling violet,
        Townsend's name appears on it twice.

        Several years back I published an extensive article on the old boy
        in Maryland Historical Magazine entitled "One Man's Battlefield,"
        long out of print. If you'd like I could dig around in the hard
        drive and see if I still have the text. Could send it as an email
        attachment. It's everything you never wanted to know about Gath and
        Gapland, as well the damage he did to the battlefield.

        Last fall the metaphor became further mixed when a bronze plaque was
        unveiled at the park to commemorate journalists who died during the
        recent (ongoing?) Iraq War. A few politicos wanted to make hay at
        the expense of history. I disseminated an editorial rebuttal to the
        event, but in the long run it had no effect. Done deal. I could send
        the editorial also if of any use. Gerry Regan of the Wild Goose
        website aided mightily in getting it out before I got online.

        Another article posing Townsend in battlefield context will appear
        in Catoctin History magazine this June. I maintain a love-hate
        relationship with the Lord of Gapland. Let me know your needs or
        wants. Happy to oblige.

        Tim

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, 128thpa@c... wrote:
        > Ooops - that is Correspondents Memorial Arch. I know they didn't
        build a monument to the correspondence of the war - but sometimes I
        think they should. The letters home are often what gets me
        interested in a subject!

        > Paula
      • tjrhys62
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2004
          Forgot to mention that if you're really into ACW journalists, at
          least those cited on the WC Arch, there's a 50-page booklet of bios
          for each available through the Friends of the park at
          http://www.fsmsb.org/books.html. $5.00 plus shipping. Guess who
          wrote it?

        • 128thpa@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2004
            Thanks Tim, whatever you would like to send, and whenever is fine with me. I
            have an 1870 edition of his book, "Lost Abroad".

            I am interested in that booklet, but I couldn't get the web site to work.

            I have been interested in Townsend because of the Laurel Hill connection. But now I have another interest, my son will be graduating from college with a major in journalism. He has a job as a reporter. When he was 14 we visited the arch, I wonder if that had any impact on him? <g>

            Paula
          • tjrhys62
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2004
              Paula,

              Last night I dug around the hard drive and was unable to find the
              article text mentioned. I apparently deleted it after publication.
              I'll make a photocopy and forward it to whichever address you
              prefer.

              It seems easier for me to just go get you a copy of "Names in Stone"
              at the park and send it also. The two-minute drive won't kill me.
              I'll see what else I have knocking about here that might be of use.
              Sounds like your search engine is a bit touchy.

              You are probably aware of the vanadalism at Laurel Hill Cemetery
              some years back. Numerous stones were overturned or broken.
              Townsend's was hit pretty hard, but subsequently repaired. No rest
              for the wicked. There's a popular local myth that he once occupied
              the Gapland Mausoleum, now in need of repair. Gath intended its four
              vaults for himself, his wife Bessie, and his parents. All ended up
              in Laurel Hill, Philly. The mausoleum went unoccupied.

              Your journalism-major son may very well have been impacted by the
              Arch. Seems to do that to everyone one way or the other. It's kind
              of a white elephant, oddly conceived and oddly placed.
              Architecturally people either love it or hate it, no middle ground.
              If your son is working at the Inquirer have him touch base with Ed
              Colimore, a good friend of mine.

              Let me know where to send this stuff and I'll get on it.

            • 128thpa@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2004
                Thanks Tim for all your offers. I will email you privately so as to not tie up the list. I haven't had much time to look at my mail, so I will get back to you tomorrow.

                Thanks,

                Paula